Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old oud, needs repairs
kamran
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 11:10 AM
Old oud, needs repairs

I purchased an oud in Cairo back in 2007 or 8 which (as you'll be able to see in the attached photos) has a label indicating it was made by one Abdel-Hamid Darwish, and which was refurbished by the reputable Fathi Amin in 2002. The oud was very much my style, with a simple and elegant design, and a light and clear tone. It became my primary performing oud when I had a fairly active ensemble when I lived in the UK, and I really loved the instrument.

A few years ago in an accident the headstock of the instrument came off (cleanly). Subsequently the bowl of the back of the oud has also developed ~3 cracks, along the seams of the wood strips that make up the bowl. I imagine all of this is fairly easily repaired, and I for a long time have wanted to learn how to do the repairs myself. But I think I have to be honest with myself that I don't have the bandwidth to take this on now, and with two other very excellent ouds I can't justify holding on to this one.

So I'd be happy to find a new home for this oud -- perhaps someone who would like to refurbish it for resale, or as a project. To that end, I'd accept reasonable offers for the oud, I think in the range of $500 would be fair but am open to your thoughts or suggestions. Folks in the Boston area are welcome to drop by see the instrument sometime.

Here is a video of me performing with the oud -- it's pretty well mic'd and so this should give a sense of the sound of the instrument when it was playable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRmWG7mMm0

IMG_6199.jpeg - 138kB IMG_6200.jpeg - 107kB IMG_6201.jpeg - 116kB IMG_6202.jpeg - 115kB IMG_6205.jpeg - 63kB
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 12:42 PM

What a lovely oud. What are the dimensions please? How deep is the bowl? How wide across the top? And what is the scale length please? (nut to bridge). Thanks!
kamran
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 01:13 PM

Hi Jody, thanks for your query. Here are some of the dimensions -- if you need any other measurements please let me know.

Scale (from nut to bridge): 60.75cm
Width (at widest point: 36cm
Depth ~17cm

Also happy to share more photos etc. And yes, I really think it's lovely. I wish I could repair it myself!

Just one last bit of detail: there's no date on the original label -- which is half-covered by the new one -- but from the style of the printing of the label my guess and the guess of the person I bought it from was that the instrument probably dates to the 1920s or so?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 01:26 PM

Thanks, Kamran. I have sent you a U2U. I am interested in this oud and in getting it repaired and making music again.

Go To Top