Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Name your favorit contemporary artists
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 08:55 AM
Name your favorit contemporary artists

Hi folks,

Amir here, a newbie oud player mainly practicing Persian music.

For beginners like me, it's easy to find oud legends of various music schools, as there is about a million posts discussing their music on this forum. Yet finding contemporary artists is a more challenging task; I come across some good players on youtube, or when someone mentions them here, and wish I had discovered their work earlier.

Having said that, I thought it would be productive to make a list of everyone's favorite contemporary oud player/players. By contemporary, I mean established or younger musicians who have produced solo albums in the last 20 years, with good presence on Soundcloud/spotify. Many of these players have a good presence on youtube as well, providing a chance for students to study their style and technique.

I'll compile the list into a google spreadsheet with links from spotify if there is good response.

here are my favorite contemporary Persian artists:

Negar Bouban Web page
Ali Pajooheshgar Spotify
Hamid Khansari Web page

Edit: Someone has compiled a good playlist of various contemporary Persian oud players here.

Thank you all!

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 02:24 PM

I like a lot of contemporary oud players and if time allows I'll mention some. But for now I'll say adamantly that presence on Soundcloud or Spotify has no correlation with quality of musicianship.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 03:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
I like a lot of contemporary oud players and if time allows I'll mention some. But for now I'll say adamantly that presence on Soundcloud or Spotify has no correlation with quality of musicianship.

Thanks.

I agree with your statement. What I had in mind was ease of access to soundtracks, nothing against musicians who don't distribute on spotify.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 07:17 PM

Of today's Turkish players I especially like Mehmet Bitmez. He does not play everything he knows how to do in every taksim.

The Armenian-American oud player Ara Dinkjian can be very expressive and has a wide palette of tonal qualities.

Four Arabic players, all with lots of musicality and each distinctly different from each other are

Khalid Mohamed Ali, Ahmed Al Khatib, Simon Shaheen, and Charbel Rouhana. They have all played things I have loved and listened to over and over.

And then there's Anouar Brahem with excellent sound and very clear delineation of musical ideas.

That's just a few of many. Mostly I listen to players of bygone days. There was a different musical ambience in the first half of the 20th century and it speaks to me.
dusepo
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dastgah-e Chahargah ?????? ???????

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 12:47 AM

I'm also into Iranian oud players (but also other traditions). Some of my favourites are:

Negar Bouban
Fatemeh Dehghani
Hosein Behrooznia
Yasamin Shahhosseini
Noushin Pasdar
Nava Soleymani
Hooman Shirali
Tina Lajevardian
Maryam Khodabaksh
Joseph Tawadross
Emilio Villalba
Rabih Abou-Khalil
Driss El Malloumi
Ahmad Al-Khatib
Karim Baggili

I'm almost certain I've forgotten some (sorry...)

coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Of today's Turkish players I especially like Mehmet Bitmez. He does not play everything he knows how to do in every taksim.

The Armenian-American oud player Ara Dinkjian can be very expressive and has a wide palette of tonal qualities.

Four Arabic players, all with lots of musicality and each distinctly different from each other are

Khalid Mohamed Ali, Ahmed Al Khatib, Simon Shaheen, and Charbel Rouhana. They have all played things I have loved and listened to over and over.

And then there's Anouar Brahem with excellent sound and very clear delineation of musical ideas.

That's just a few of many. Mostly I listen to players of bygone days. There was a different musical ambience in the first half of the 20th century and it speaks to me.

Thanks for sharing. This list is exactly what I was after; apart from Simone and Charbel, I can't say I have heard much from the rest.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dusepo  
I'm also into Iranian oud players (but also other traditions). Some of my favourites are:

Negar Bouban
Fatemeh Dehghani
Hosein Behrooznia
Yasamin Shahhosseini
Nava Soleymani
Hooman Shirali
Tina Lajevardian
Maryam Khodabaksh
Joseph Tawadross
Emilio Villalba
Rabih Abou-Khalil
Driss El Malloumi
Ahmad Al-Khatib
Karim Baggili

I'm almost certain I've forgotten some (sorry...)

Thanks! I am familiar with most Persian players on your list, some are very young but do play well. I like Ahmad Al-Khatib, his style is closer to Persian style of playing than most Arab players.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 09:08 AM

To give credit where it's due, I have learned much from two contemporary artists on this forum, Navid Goldrick and Brian Prunka, either through their youtube channels or by reading their comments here.

Perhaps I should restate my question like this: What youtube channel can newbies follow to learn techniques and get familiarized with different schools of music?
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-30-2021 at 02:57 AM

"I'm almost certain I've forgotten some (sorry...)"

Amir Farhang Iskandari!

Go To Top