Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about tuning pegs
egypt omar
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 05:33 AM
question about tuning pegs

Hey guys.. I was wondering if you guys knew of a way to keep tuning pegs from slipping? I have one of these ouds from Egypt (*no not a shehata :) , and some of the pegs slip. I'm wondering if there is a known way to fix that. Is there some kind of abrasive compound that one can apply to prevent this? Any suggestions?
Omar
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 05:45 AM

Hey Omar,

Try some peg dope. You can probably get from any music store like Sam Ashe at or near where the violins are.

Good luck,
Mike

egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 05:49 AM
thanks

Hey thanks mike! you truly are a super administrator :xtreme:
Omar
Vince Millett
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 07:13 AM

I have the opposite problem; my pegs sometimes are so tight that I can't turn them and when they suddenly turn a bit they go too far.

I have a well-made electric oud so I don't think it's a construction problem as such. Maybe just that I don't understand traditional wooden tuning pegs. I'm more used to giuitar type tuners from my other instruments.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 02:00 PM

Hey Vince,

I've used baby powder for that purpose before, and it worked fine. Just use it VERY sparingly, and only at the two spots where the peg meets the pegbox. You won't need very much at all.

Good luck,
Mike

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 03:54 PM

Hi Vince,

The best thing for pegs is the compound designed for your specific problem (used on violin, cello, etc). It's Hill's compound, you can find it at any violin shop.

It's cheap too.

Apply it on the two areas of the peg where the peg meets the pegbox (sometimes there's a groove there from wear), and that should do the trick for you. You'll have to destring your oud and take the pegs out one by one, but it's worth it.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2005 at 05:17 PM

As far as Vince's problem goes, if the peg is too tight, you could always try to use a lead (graphite) pencil on the peg. Use it sparingly or else the peg could slip. Cheap, easy and safe.
But, a little more on this same issue. Even if the peg turns well, don't others have a problem where the string will suddenly "jump" higher when you are tuning up? That is, even if the peg is turning smoothly, the note does not change accordingly. Then, all of a sudden, way too sharp. Why is this? Is it because there is some friction at the nut? If so, would a little peg dope or graphite at the nut help?

Vince Millett
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 12:11 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!

As regards sudden tuning jumps; this happens on guitars and there is is usually down to a badly cut nut. You can use pencil lead as a lubricant but it's better to get someone who knows what they're doing (i.e proper musical instrument technician!) to use a very fine file to make sure the nut is properly cut.

I imagine it's the same with an oud. Be very careful about trying it yourself because you don't want to end up with a groove cut too deeply into the nut.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 06:06 PM

Hi Guys,
I agree about the violin compound. I tried it for hard to move pegs and slipping ones. It works like magic!
However, THE MASTER HIMSELF, THE ONE AND ONLY, Maurice Shehata gave me the following tip:
If you remover the pegs from the peg box and dip them in burnt cigarettes ash, they will work fine. I don't smoke, but I am sure that it is a brilliant idea coming from the oud wizard himself!

Take care,
Hatem
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 06:20 AM

"..the two areas of the peg where the peg meets the pegbox (sometimes there's a groove there from wear), .."
-This is a problem with soft pegs. If the peg is softer than the peg box, it will compress, forming a groove or step. These can be replaced with properly fitted ebony or rosewood viola pegs.
"As regards sudden tuning jumps; this happens on guitars and there is is usually down to a badly cut nut."
-The front edge of the string groove should be filed with a small chamfer or radius to avoid catching the windings of the wound strings, and the rear of the groove should be cut far enough around the nut so the string does not pass over an edge at all. The groove should be round like the string, (not a v-cut) and needs to be no deeper as 1/2 the diameter of the string. A shallow groove will work just fine, it doesn't take much.
"If you remover the pegs from the peg box and dip them in burnt cigarettes ash, they will work fine."
-No need to risk lung cancer to make your pegs work better. Ash is carbon, the same material as in a lead pencil. A better remedy for sticky pegs is dry soap, used very sparingly, just a thin line around the peg at the contact areas. Baby powder is talc, used for slipping pegs. Both remedies assume the pegs fit and are hard enough.
I you "remover" the pegs, be sure to keep them in order and return them to the same hole they came from. Otherwise, they won't fit or work right. Each peg is fitted to and will work it's way in it's own hole, mixing them up is not good. Most poorly working pegs on cheap ouds suffer from soft pegs and a bad fit. The best fix is to replace them with viola pegs..

Go To Top