Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thoughts on Sam Ouds?
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 09:20 AM
Thoughts on Sam Ouds?

Hi all,

I hope you're all keeping well. So a quick recap:

I started on the oud in 2018. I was lucky to find someone in the US selling an Ali Nişadır oud, which I initially tuned to Arabic tuning and used for lessons with my teacher, who also focused on Arabic technique and repertoire. Eventually, curiosity got the better of me and I restrung the oud with Turkish oud strings and found that it instantly sounded so much better. I've kept it in Turkish tuning ever since.

So then I got a Zeryab oud for Arabic tuning and spent a good deal of time fixing it up. The tone was a little boomy, but OK. The problem was that I found the bowl uncomfortably deep. So I sold that one and bought a Kamil Gül zenne oud. I'd seen a few videos of people playing them in Arabic tuning and thought they sounded decent enough. It's a great oud for the price, I'm very happy with it, and after experimenting with a number of different strings, I've got it absolutely singing... In old Turkish/Armenian tuning.

So now I've got two Turkish ouds, one tuned BF#Bead and the other tuned EABead, and I'm quite happy with them both since I mostly focus on Turkish technique and repertoire these days. But Oud Acquisition Syndrome is rearing its ugly head again, and I'm thinking I really would like to have one oud set up for Arabic tuning, since if/when I'm ever able to play with other people around here again, Arabic tuning would be much more sociable. I'd also like to have an oud that has more of a characteristically deep Arabic tone and response with a 60 cm scale length.

Long story short (I know, sorry): As much as I'd love to order the oud of my dreams from John Vergara or Peter Sayegh, I don't have that kind of money. There's an oud on the Sam Ouds "Oud 4 Sale" Facebook page that looks pretty decent for the price ($700 incl. case & shipping)--maybe a bit rough around the edges, but it certainly looks and sounds better than the low-end Zeryab I had, and the 19 cm bowl depth should be manageable.

I know a few members here on the forum have bought ouds from him. What are your thoughts*?

Other ouds I'm thinking about in a similar price range would be something from Habib Instruments in Lebanon or maybe one of the Tarablic ouds from Khaled Halabi in Canada, though I'm worried the bowls on those might be a bit deeper than I'm comfortable with.

*I'm not interested in potentially slandering someone on a public forum. If you have particular issues of concern with his work that you'd like to address, please send me a DM.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 03:19 PM

Hi Channing,

Alternative to those shops, you can order a semi professional Zeryab oud from their shop at UAE for about $800:

https://www.instagram.com/zeryab_uae/?hl=en

My oud teacher has a floating bridge Zeryab and he is very content, though be aware there is variability in Zeryab in terms of sound quality (like any other instrument shop producing at that scale).
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 04:59 PM

i just had Sams Ouds make me a 7 course Arabic style at 60 cm, and im very happy with it indeed. i dont think you can do better for the money, tbh. He gets my vote for that price point!

ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 10:04 PM

That's good to hear, Mustafa. Much of the feedback I've gotten from people who own or have played his ouds has been very positive.

I snagged the Abdo Nahat copy that he posted for sale recently. I'll post my thoughts on it after it arrives and I have some time to get to know it. Until then, I'm just going to sit here and click "refresh" on FedEx...

What strings are you using on your 7-course? I'll have to hit you up for an order once the website is fully operational.
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ChanningPDX  
That's good to hear, Mustafa. Much of the feedback I've gotten from people who own or have played his ouds has been very positive.

I snagged the Abdo Nahat copy that he posted for sale recently. I'll post my thoughts on it after it arrives and I have some time to get to know it. Until then, I'm just going to sit here and click "refresh" on FedEx...

What strings are you using on your 7-course? I'll have to hit you up for an order once the website is fully operational.

i do believe you have ordered, and thanks! :)

im using LaBellas on it for now, as i want to dial in some tension ideas ,and i wanted to try LaBellas anyway. This is my fitrst Arabic oud (the others being a Turkish and floating bridge), and its kind of my lab rat for strings, etc, for the new biz., im liking them so far, though i think i went too low of tension in this restring for my taste...

ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 06:34 PM

Hmm... Yes, 60 cm is totally new to me as well. I liked the D'Addarios with the exception of the 2nd g course, which just seemed a bit floppy. I really liked the plain nylgut strings from the Aquila set, but the others were a bit hit-and-miss. (I love the new Aquilas in Turkish tuning on my 57 cm Turkish oud.)

Let me know if you find something you really like. Methinks I'll be ordering some more strings to try soon.

Go To Top