Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Doubling C bass on 12 string?
Almaafin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 10:10 AM
Doubling C bass on 12 string?

Hey guys, recently ordered myself a 12-string Zeryab shami oud. I mostly play in CFAdgc. I’ve read some posts on here that doubling the bass C string isn’t done because they would rattle against each other. And then another post indicates that it can be done but it is rare and another that said that Hamza el Din has done a tuning with doubling on bass C.

I guess my question is, would there be a type of strings that would allow me to double on bass C?

Image attachment from the seller’s images.
Note: I’m a new oudist and I’m really loving the oud. The nahawand maqam brings me back to my Flamenco background. :D

Oud image.png - 402kB
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 02:36 PM

Hi Almaafin,
Here is my opinion, there are 2 or 3 things:
- Strings can rattle against each other in some situations: if the tension is not adequate (to low for the oud), and if the space between the two strings is not enough ( meaning the nut was made ''narrow''). If the oud is a good quality and the stringss tension is right, the two strings shouldn’t rattle (good quality oud means too that the action is right...).
- Some oudists doubles the C, yes but it's rare because, we need to double the string if we use it a lot (playing on it), that's not the case in Arabic playing in 90% or more. We use it as a bass (C or D...) in most cases, depending on what we are comfortable with or what we are playing (sometimes). In addition, when you double the C string, you double the tension for the oud for this string, for a string that you don't need to be doubled, and you ask mor for your oud action... especially for fixed bridges ouds.
In my experience, finding the right tension for this C string (and the 5th too) ins not easy, it varies from oud to another and you should try some to find what suitable for your oud.

Khalil

Go To Top