Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ali Darwish Samai Nahawand Score
naf
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 03:58 PM
Ali Darwish Samai Nahawand Score

Dear fellow members,

I would like to announce that a new Samai Score for Shiekh Ali Al-Darwish Syria (1882 - 1952) in the maqam of Nahawand C has been uploaded to the compositions section of https://jabaqji.herokuapp.com/.

I would be greatly obliged if you point out any mistakes I might have committed while digitizing this score, or share with me any notes and comments regarding this score.

https://jabaqji.herokuapp.com/ is a free and open source platform that aims to publish materials related to the oud instrument in particular, and Arabic music in general.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 05:29 PM

My main references for this lovely samai are two recordings, one by Sami Al Shawwa and one by some musicians from Aleppo. There are differences between them and differences between the recordings and Brian Prunka's notation as well. Your transcription has some things not found in any of these sources. Some of it may be simply a matter of interpretation or expression. In the first khana in measure 4 I think CBCA should be CBBA. I see other discepencies but I'll leave it at that and let others more knowledgeable than I am comment on the rest.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 06:44 PM

I've heard the first few notes of this samai timed in different ways but the second note in the first measure of the first khana has always been Eb rather than D, at least in the versions I've heard.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 06:16 AM

There are a number of variations in the way this is played, and what you have in m.4 that Jody mentions is a less common but still viable variation. I'd have to go through the transcription in more detail to check all the notes, but what I notice at first glance is the following:

The key signature has the notes in the wrong order. It should be, left to right, Bb Eb Ab, not Ab Eb Bb. Also the spacing withing the key signature should be more even.

The first measure in a system should not have a left barline between the key signature and the music.

m.15 the beats don't add up to 10, I think the last note should be a dotted quarter, not a dotted eighth.

m.18 the beats don't add up to 10, something is wrong in beats 1-2 with your rhythmic values.

There shouldn't be an extra bar line between the backwards repeat and the next measure (first and second ending of m. 18)

naf
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your notes and corrections.
I adjusted the typo mistakes and formatting issues pointed by Brian, and I will need to find a clear recording of this piece and spectrum-analyze it, to check the remarks of Jody.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by naf  
Thank you all for your notes and corrections.
I adjusted the typo mistakes and formatting issues pointed by Brian, and I will need to find a clear recording of this piece and spectrum-analyze it, to check the remarks of Jody.

Sami Al Shawwa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDyOcineRXI

Musicians with Sabri Moudallal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYBmNCX5V0

Go To Top