Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: replacing the bridge
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 07:35 AM
replacing the bridge

Hey everyone, I'd like to replace the bridge on my oud to one with a lower action / better design. What are some tips to remove the old one and glue on a new one?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 08:14 AM

This is possible but will be challenging depending on the glue originally used.

I would also suggest that in most cases this is not a good solution to high action. You want relatively high string clearance near the bridge so that you don't have issues hitting the face while playing (of course, this is relative and it is possible for it to be too high). Most of the time if you want lower action, the correct solution is to adjust the angle of the neck or replaning the fingerboard. Sometimes the nut is too high, which only really affects the first (half) position action.

It's not something I'd advise attempting on your own. To reglue the bridge properly you need special long clamps, and there are many ways this can go wrong, the bridge needs to be stable against roughly 90 lbs of constant tension so even minor issues with the fix can have disastrous effects.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
This is possible but will be challenging depending on the glue originally used.

(...)

To reglue the bridge properly you need special long clamps,

In 1969 or 70 the bridge on my Khalife oud came loose. It was a clean break and the luthier who did the repair did not have separate glue from wood or deal with splinters etc. Faced with the puzzle of how to clamp the bridge to the soundboard of a big round bellied instrument he came up with an ingenious solution to the problem. He cut long strips from the inner tube of an old automobile tire and he tied held the bridge down with these. The best part was that neither of us questioned the presence of an inner tube in a luthier's workshop. "Of course. Doesn't everybody have 4 or 5 of these lying around. In those days, in that social circle, the answer was "of course".
Chris-Stephens
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 09:48 AM

Thanks for the warning! Its not really a deal breaker, and maybe 'action' isn't the right word, but I just have a bridge from another oud that is shorter, and has the string holes lower. I just find it a little easier to play and its got a nice carved shape. I'll leave just leave it alone for now!
naf
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-24-2021 at 10:39 AM

According to what type of glue was used to fix it, I handled two types, one needed some soaking with alcohol to break it, the other which was animal based glue, heating with a hair dryer cleanly broke the bonds of the glue. but the matter of fixing a new bridge needs more attention than taking out the old bridge, you need to find a way to clamp it and make sure that it can withstand high tension.

Go To Top