Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: n00b
LudwigVan
Oud Lover

Mood: OK

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 09:58 AM
n00b

Introing myself now. My main instrument is electric bass (upright too if I could afford it). I play rock influenced by jazz, blues, classical, Latin, Celtic, whatever. Several years ago I defretted my instrument; ever since, I won't go back to fretted.

Then I discovered the oud and Arabic music. I also wanted a "fretless guitar". Last fall, I finally got an entry-level model, made in Cairo. I'm not sorry.

I know most of the maqamat and ajnas by heart, and some of the awzan, and of course I know all the Western scales/modes. And I've got a couple oud CDs. I'd like to incorporate oud into my own music, but I also play a lot for relaxation and microtonal experimentation.

My main problem now is how to clean up my sloppy technique. I'm still getting used to using a risha. I definitely need to find a good method book, or even a tutor. And I also need to familiarize myself more with Turkish, Greek, Armenian and Iranian music.

My first language is English, and I know a little Spanish and French. I'm TRYING to learn Arabic as well....

~Danny~
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 03:46 PM

welcome to the world of oud and to this forum. u'll learn alot from everybody here. good job on learning alot of maqamat and ajnas and i admire the fact that u r trying to learn arabic as well! its not easy but with a little determination u 'll pick it up quickly! good luck and hope u post some sound clips of your ouding soon:airguitar:
check out this site for risha excercises http://www.oudcafe.com

habeebkum

Go To Top