Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The shape of the Celluloid Risha
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 04:11 AM
The shape of the Celluloid Risha

For oud players who use the celluloid risha-s (pyramid and others), did you find the symmetric shape ok? helpful like it is made ? or you ''re-shape it''.

I'm asking this question for 2 reasons: all the Risha-s made from horn...(traditional) are not shaped alike, and the symmetric shape is not 'ergonomics' : it doesn't follow the movement of the right hand, like Turkish risha-s that we can find on sale (asymmetric ends)

The material of celluloid is very good, but if you ''re-shape it' it became rough... therefore, I'm wondering if these compagnies can made some risha-s with asymmetric ends, it will be really good. Hope I'm not alone to think like that.

Khalil

norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 06:06 AM

what do you mean by asymmetric -- can you provide a picture?
overtime the risha tips will take on a certain shape by wear, depending on a players particular angle, etc.

people are liking the celluloid rishas im carrying right now -- i did several samples from suppliers before i found one i liked - but personally ill sand and bevel the tips of mine to get a little texture to it, so that it doesnt sound as 'plastic-y' . If i do that ill also make one end more round than the other, to have some options, but i dont put an asymmetric shape to either end.

but i could! Ive thought about adding that texturizing/rounding as a service to the rishas i sell for a slight upcharge, and if you give me a pic of what kind of asymmetry youre speaking of, i could add that to the mix, as well.

Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 07:44 AM

Hi Stephan,

I didn't want to make any advertising to any website or company (sorry about that), but here is an example : https://www.pinterest.com/pin/329044316518161154/ (I don't have a flikr accout to download images...)

All my Risha-s made from horn or plastic, I put them in this shape (ends) to 'attack'' the strings without curving (a bit more) my wrist: In Turkey they use the same form, and in Morocco to so it's not only me, I hope :)

I'll try to download some photos of one off mine (pyramid Celluloid richa shaped like in the link (Turkish).

Thank you to be open to look at this point and to add it, if so, to the mix ! if any demand...
like your website !

norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 08:15 AM

ah, i see, particularly on the bottom three in that photo, thank you! thats how they tend to shape over time with natural wear, but here they are made like that from the start. Interesting...
ill see what i can do to shape something like that...

Lael
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 02:40 PM

For what its worth. Carpet is a phenomenal tool for shaping risha. I rough shape my risha both horn and plastic from Norumba with sand paper and finish by rubbing on carpet. The industrial carpet in most commercial spaces ...business offices and the like are surprisingly abrasive and can be used for total shaping on the plastic and polishing horn. Depending on the pressure and heat built up you can achieve a high polish very slippery or with slight tooth. Ive never had it ruin the carpet either.
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
ill see what i can do to shape something like that... but here they are made like that from the start. Interesting...

Yes the idea is to get an original finishing, which is excellent, in this shape without touching it again... Thank you !!

Thank you Lael for the advice/trick ! good ideas ! it will help for all the rishas that we allready have.

Go To Top