Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What was a live performance that moved you?
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-25-2021 at 04:20 PM
What was a live performance that moved you?

So I recently played my first performance infront of an audience - I didn't have their full attention as I was opening a small event but the feedback was positive.

It did make me wonder what makes an oud performance special, so what was that performance to you and what really stood out?

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 11-27-2021 at 10:15 AM

Living in the West, like you, I haven't had the opportunity to attend many live performances of high-quality live, traditional ME/NA performances. Probably, the most moving performance was a solo oud performance by Palestinian-Israel oudist Taiseer Elias. About 12 years ago, he was hired as a visiting scholar for week-long program at the University of California, Davis. Taiseer gave a free-admission noon-time solo performance in a large auditorium. The pieces he played were a mix of Ottoman and Arabic classical works, and some Arabic folk songs. Actually, about 3/4 of the pieces were/are ones that I play, myself. What was most impressive, beyond his general high level of technical prowess and, IMHO, beautiful sense of melody, was his elaborately embellished arrangements of these well-known pieces, which included some harmony and counterpoint. Taiseer is actually an acquaintance of mine, and, although he has a reputation as an excellent and VERY demanding teacher, is also an extremely kind and humble man, which comes across in his stage presence. (The lead musicology instructor who sponsored him actually invited me to sit in on the afternoon's classes with him, which I would have loved to do, but was unable. I think the best thing I could have done to educate the students about the character of trade ME/NA music would have been to play excerpts from the pieces Taiseer played, so the students could appreciate how embellished his versions were, and better understand the role of improvisation in classical Ottoman & Arabic music.) I have heard Simon Shaheen perform live, and have a very high regard for him as a musician and teacher, but having met him and watched him "in action" as a teacher, I notice a more "prickly" personality, which comes across when you talk to him, when he teaches, and when he performs.

As far as I know, Taiseer's c.2009 Davis performance was, unfortunately, not recorded.

Here is a small clip of Taiseer playing a taqsim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOaPSFEVLcs

Although I HATE the idea of musical competitions, especially for improvisational musics, I am attaching an article prove that Taiseer is no slouch as an oud teacher.

Attachment: Israelis Win Oud Competition in Egypt.pdf (83kB)
This file has been downloaded 72 times

Go To Top