Printable Version  
Author: Subject: IMPOSSIBLY THIN! Nahat Bridges
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 12-1-2021 at 07:57 AM
IMPOSSIBLY THIN! Nahat Bridges

Good day/evening fellow oud people.....

It certainly has been a while since I've come on here or even thought about ouds. I was very dedicated as a younger chap a few years back :)

But I was hoping to get some insightful information on here, with regards to the bridges found on Nahat and other Shami ouds. I remember there been some serious Nahat connoisseurs on here going way back. Not sure who remains....

So how would it have been possible, especially with what they had to work with 90 or 100 years ago, to make such impossibly thin slender bridges on these ouds? I've attached some examples. There's even a modern zeryab reproduction, the foot print on that bridge is 18 x 110 mm, that's like just over half an inch! Now I know bridges have a reputation for popping off for various reasons, but in the majority of cases these slender bridges have remained intact.

I wonder if it was the low tension tuning associated with ouds back then, the cc" tuning that was common, there was certainly no ff". Or perhaps the gut strings, or the plain tensionless dd"?

Maybe it was a secret glue formula. Nails from the bottom? (doubt that)

Any input from players, makers, or Nahat authorities (Dr Oud? :D) would be much appreciated.

Stay safe everyone!
Thanks in advance....
Sam

Antun Bridge.jpg - 79kB Ikhwan Bridge 2.jpg - 40kB Tawfic Bridge.jpg - 62kB Zeryab Bridge.jpg - 57kB Tawfic 1931.jpg - 103kB
dusepo
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dastgah-e Chahargah ?????? ???????

[*] posted on 12-2-2021 at 02:49 AM

I think that second last picture is actually a John Vergara oud, and I know he builds with that style of bridge, so maybe he can help?

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-15-2023 at 01:50 PM

no nails or screws usd. The strings used in those day were probably lower tension. Glue was certainly hide glue and the joint must be fitted precisely, often using the lap sanding method. Acquila makes a special low tension set for antique ouds or use turkish strings which are intended for higher pitch shorter string length and tune them low.

Go To Top