Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bracing adjustments for 7 course oud?
OudSwede
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-13-2022 at 06:39 AM
Bracing adjustments for 7 course oud?

Hello!

I am making a seven course floating bridge oud. I have all dimensions for a 6 course oud, but I wonder if the additional two strings require more for the bracing?

I have heard somethere (can’t remember where) that the strength of the bracing increases more with height than width (they are essential tiny wood beams). I have also heard, that if you multiply the height by 1,26 you will get twice the strenght in bearing strenght on a beam.

So, if this holds true, should I add extra height for my project? If so, is twice the strenght too much, or multiply with a smaller number?

On lutes, baroque lutes generally use this principle and have higher bracing than renaissance lutes. But I have not seen this for ouds. Instead, they seem to be wider for floating bridge ouds compared to fixed bridge ouds. Here for example: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11244&p...

Kind regards,
Viktor
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-15-2022 at 03:10 AM

Hello

i think you can preserve flexibility of the soundboard giving an angle to the soundboard, like on mandolin top. This way you can give more strength to the structure without killing the sound by a too thick soundboard or to high braces

https://www.liuteriaquintavalla.it/en/df-mandolin/

Dimension is a good starter point but you will have to feel the felxibility to adapt depending on the kind of wood you are working on.

At least from what i understand from my amateur point of view

Good luck in your project !

Go To Top