Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Density of supernylgut 1.0? (From Iraqi and other sets circa 2016)
grassyknoll
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-27-2022 at 09:10 PM
Density of supernylgut 1.0? (From Iraqi and other sets circa 2016)

Hi everyone:)

I'm here trying to dial in a plain nylgut d (3rd) course, and wondered if anyone knew the density of this first iteration of supernylgut 1.0? (The "super nylgut" released with their set circa 2016) From what I read on oudstrings.com, this formulation sounds different both from new nylgut (NNG - Aquila lute) and Supernylgut 2.0 - the new iteration now released with their sets

On the art wiklo string calculator it says "old nylgut" has a density of 1260 (rather than 1300 for NNG).. wondering were this Supernylgut 1.0 fits into this spectrum

Thank you!

Cheers!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 04:47 PM

I'm not sure but I don't think the slight variations in nylgut density from different formulas have a big impact, particularly on the d course.
By the time you get thick enough for the d course, the considerations of tone become more important than precise tension—a thick string will tend to sound a bit dull and 'flubby.' At least that's been my experience.

How are you getting gauged plain nylgut, though? I don't recall Aquila ever making it available in those sizes.

According to Aquila's equivalency chart for the "lute" nylgut (which is NNG, but the original version), .91NNG is aproximately = 1.00 Nylon or .79 PVF. Depends on your scale length, but generally people use between .97-1.02 for that string if they are using nylon and between .83-.92 if using PVF.
So that is probably as low as you would go. I'd expect something like 1.00 NNG to be as high as you'd want to go.
If it was me I'd probably start with 0.97, see how it sounds/feels and adjust from there.

Go To Top