Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Raqset al-Atlas & Hubbi
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-29-2022 at 09:05 PM
Raqset al-Atlas & Hubbi

In case anyone wants it, I've shared my transcriptions of the tunes "Raqset al-Atlas" and "Hubbi" here:
brianprunka.com/words/blog/hubbi-raqset-al-atlas-sheet-music

There was an interesting discussion on FB recently about these two tunes and whether one of the composers may have "plagiarized" the other. Personally, I do think there was an influence but not plagiarism. Curious to know what you guys think.

Either way, both are super fun, classic tunes!

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-29-2022 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for sharing these, Brian! It never occurred to me that these pieces were connected, but I'll listen more carefully.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
Thanks for sharing these, Brian! It never occurred to me that these pieces were connected, but I'll listen more carefully.

Cool, thanks John - curious to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure they're connected, exactly, but the similarity is interesting and it's certainly possibly that one influenced the other.

I think it's a good example of compositional inspiration if so. Taking an idea but developing something else out of it. The contrast of syncopated rhythmic figure and lyrical strings is a really nice texture.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-30-2022 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  

Cool, thanks John - curious to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure they're connected, exactly, but the similarity is interesting and it's certainly possibly that one influenced the other.

I think it's a good example of compositional inspiration if so. Taking an idea but developing something else out of it. The contrast of syncopated rhythmic figure and lyrical strings is a really nice texture.

"Hubbi" has never been one of my favorite Abdel Wahab pieces. I've always found the melody playful to the point of sounding "juvenile." "Raqset Al-Atlas" is certainly a pleasant enough composition, but lacking in melodic "hooks," (which is not a problem with "Hubbi"). But, probably, perceiving what you describe will take more than one listen to each piece!

Go To Top