Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nut height
thefsb
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 11:17 AM
Nut height

I replaced the strings on my oud with the D'Addario 11-string C-C set. They are fatter than the set installed at the factory. Now, when I tune it, the F and A courses are pinging between too sharp and too flat. Lubricating the nut didn't resolve the pinging.

My first though was that maybe the slots need to be wider. However, on the bass side, the top of the nut is flush with the fingerboard. So the nut height at the bottom of the slots may be lower than the top of the fingerboard and the strings might be pinging on the square edge of the fingerboard at the nut.

So, in addition to checking the slots are wide enough for the new strings, I'm inclined to shim the nut so that the bottom of its slots are a few mils clear of the fingerboard. Does this seem reasonable?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 12:46 PM

Totally reasonable, shimming the nut often makes sense particularly on the bass side as you're suggesting.
Usually very little is necessary, a piece of an index card or business card is often enough.
If that's not high enough, you can fold it over once or twice. You don't have to shim the whole nut.
thefsb
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-8-2022 at 07:14 AM

Thanks Brian!

Go To Top