Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sensible tuning for OU80 Oud strings
mohamed maghrabi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 11:59 PM
sensible tuning for OU80 Oud strings

Hi All ,

just picked up a oud, got a la bella OU80 Oud string set

how do you properly tune it ? the labella website says it starts with a bottom G .. but that's just too low and doesn't make sense

It says its a Turkish string set,but then i am not really sure how to do a Turkish tuning , for example following the below website i cant tell which tuning to use , because there are several Turkish turnings , and all are wildly differnet

https://www.arabinstruments.com/oud/oud-resources/oud-tuner

My oud is a floating bridge, i think its 58 Cm nut to bridge now, thats how i bought it.

honestly , i bought this set thinking it was an Arabic set, which is what i wanted , to tune down to C .. but now that i got the Turkish one and strung it , how do i tune it properly :)?

One more thing , the labella website says the OU80 can do Arabic tuning down to C on certain Arabic ouds , any ideas what "certain Arabic ouds " mean , longer scale length ouds?

If its the case, would it then make sense to push the bridge back to extend the scale length ,to allow for better tension on a C tuning ?

thanks in advance for all your help
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2022 at 05:31 AM

In Turkish music "G" means what the rest of the world calls "D". A set of strings designed for all Turkish tunings are meant to be tuned a step higher than Arabic C tunings. Floating bridge Arabic ouds are usually tuned to F tuning but you can safely use this LaBella set on your oud and tune it to C tuning. Moving the bridge is likely to cause problems.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-5-2022 at 05:02 PM

Exactly as Jody says, "G" means D in this case, everything is a 4th down from the written tuning.

I've found the OU80 a little unbalanced in Arabic tuning - the nylon strings are a bit too light for the rest of the set. But it really depends on the oud. You could use the set in C-c' tuning or up a step (at 58cm you are essentially at Turkish scale anyway).

Floating bridges typically respond better with a little higher tension. If you tune to Arabic tuning, you may want slightly heavier strings for the nylon - probably something like .025in and .030in (I think OU80 has .022 and .028 if I recall correctly).

But it's been a long time since I tried that set.

The bridge position should be such that the vibrating string length (i.e., the part that you play on) is 3 times the length from the nut to the neck-body joint. It is not advisable to move the bridge around, as the bracing is designed for the correct position and the intonation will be inaccurate if you move it.
mohamed maghrabi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 04:21 PM

Thanks a lot guys for your responses, would have never guessed G is D :)
i ended up tuning it to C , and just swapped the first 2 strings from another set that has a bit more tension , sounds great

thanks again :)

Go To Top