Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: in-tune neys?
Shiv888
Oud Admirer

exclamation.gif posted on 11-14-2022 at 01:06 AM
in-tune neys?

First of all, apologies for bringing up neys in an oud forum. Sadly there aren't a lot of resources out there in English! With that out of the way..

..Does anyone have insight about which ney makers consistently make in-tune, ~440hz neys? About a year ago I bought an Arabic ney that was supposedly tuned to sol (G), but in reality it is F#. The maker is Ahmad Abd El Ghani.

I am now trying to purchase another arabic ney in D (dukah) but am nervous it will end up being C#. I've seen multiple reviews that Ghani's neys tend to be flat, despite claiming to be perfectly tuned to 440hz. Is this a common problem with neys? Should I steer clear of Ghani despite his reputation? And is there a consensus on which maker creates the closest concert tuning?

After searching for alternatives, it seems to me that Saber Kawala is both well regarded and sells online. Any opinions on his work, as far as tuning goes?

My backup plan is to buy a ney tuned to C, so that in case it's flat, I can still play with other instruments fairly easily in B.

Thank you!

Go To Top