Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: B flat tuning
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 05:37 AM
B flat tuning

Hi folks,

I was browsing some instagram posts coming out of the Turunz workshop and one of the instruments was claimed to be tuned in B flat tuning system.

Here is the post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl8JSKKtj1p/

The tuning appears to be like:

B flat
E flat
G
c
f
b flat

Anyone familiar with this tuning?
Cheers!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 06:08 AM

This is the standard Arabic tuning CFAdgc tuned down a step. I have played several older Arabic ouds that sound better tuned low like that. I wouldn't be surprised if some new ones sound best tuned that way as well.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 08:29 AM

Thanks Jody! I wonder if they used standard Arabic strings and just toned them down or used thicker strings to maintain tension for one step lower tuning.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  
Thanks Jody! I wonder if they used standard Arabic strings and just toned them down or used thicker strings to maintain tension for one step lower tuning.

It depends on the size of the oud, but usually when people tune down like this, they just use a regular set.

Usually the ouds that sound best in this tuning are a bit larger, and so the "standard" oud sets actually have better tension tuned down than they do at "regular" pitch. Like if youo have a 62cm oud, the tension of a regular D'addario or Pyramid orange set is going to be relatively high.

Most typical sets have tension a bit on the higher side anyway, and part of the desirable sound of the lower tuning is having low-ish tension.

Regarding this tuning - lots of old recordings are tuned down somewhere below C, either B or B flat or somewhere in between. Or they are higher (like Eb Ab c f bb eb).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 10:39 AM

Thank you Brian, your wisdom is appreciated as always.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 10:43 AM

Speaking of scales and tension, sometimes when you tune a base string lower (or higher), it generates a magnified buzz, the type where strings start oscillating funny and hitting each. This sometimes happens in standard tuning too. Is there a remedy for this apart from trying different strings?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 11:12 AM

Speaking of scales and tension, sometimes when you tune a base string lower (or higher), it generates a magnified buzz, the type where strings start oscillating funny and hitting each. This sometimes happens in standard tuning too. Is there a remedy for this apart from trying different strings?

Rather than seek a remedy, I would probably incorporate the buzz into what I was playing. It could be musical, used in moderation.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  

Rather than seek a remedy, I would probably incorporate the buzz into what I was playing. It could be musical, used in moderation.

Thank you Jody. I actually hear this buzz in tunes from some professional players but personally find it irritating :) sometimes it’s too loud and keeps ringing too long.
dutorchi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-11-2022 at 05:23 PM

Is it also the case that people tune it down when accompanying singers in some cases to suit their voices? Like how Umm Kulthun's Arouh Limin fits under the hands as rast on C but is recorded on B flat. I've been working with a singer on it and she did say B flat suits the voice much better than C.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-14-2022 at 08:58 PM

Most of the "nonstandard" tunings are indeed chosen to suit the range of a particular singer's voice. It may be a higher tuning (Sabah Fakhri for example) or lower (Oum Kulthoum sometimes). The idea of tuning "in C" is a relatively new one and rarely the actual tuning on old recordings.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-22-2022 at 06:46 PM

Here is another video of the mentioned oud:

https://youtu.be/Z8fIJEyRDe4?t=1072
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-23-2022 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Most of the "nonstandard" tunings are indeed chosen to suit the range of a particular singer's voice. It may be a higher tuning (Sabah Fakhri for example) or lower (Oum Kulthoum sometimes). The idea of tuning "in C" is a relatively new one and rarely the actual tuning on old recordings.

Just beware of nearly all the old film clips you'll find on youtube from the Pal and Secam regions. They have been sped up by 4.17% during the transfer process from film to video. That amounts to nearly a half step. It's nearly impossible to find these films at the right speed unless it's an original filmstock or it was sold in the US by Rashid sales. TV broadcasts, studio recordings, and concert recordings should be the right speed.

franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2023 at 07:04 AM

This recording is part of an interview in arabic with Elia Khouri which says they are using Kurschner Arap 2 strings set on this oud. He also mentioned that this new model was designed to be tuned in Bb.

Go To Top