Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tightening of tuning pegs due to string winding
Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-12-2023 at 04:28 AM
Tightening of tuning pegs due to string winding

Hi everyone.

I have a question regarding the strings of the oud. More specifically, the strings in relation to the tuning pegs. The reason for my question is that I have been having a bit of issues with the strings moving towards the wood frame as it gets tightened more over time due to tuning. This pulls in some of the tuning pegs more and more so that they become really tight! For this reason, it was necessary loosening the low C string and shortening it (after this picture was taken). That peg surely was jammed! Now I am doing OK but yesterday I noticed that some of the other low strings are now beginning to become slightly tighter due to the same phenomenon :shrug:

When I stringed the oud, I shortened the strings to roughly 18 cm (a hands length) past the corresponding tuning peg because I watched a video recommending to do that. The thicker strings are a bit shorter than this. Would you guys recommend shortening them a bit more next time I mount new strings or maybe even loosen this particular set of strings and shorten them? Or should I change the direction somehow?

EDIT: It appears that it is less of a problem than I first expected. The issue was mostly with the low C which I have now shortened to make more space. The others are quite OK it seems. But I am still interested in hearing how much excess string you guys leave before mounting the strings :)

This was my pegbox after restringing. Please don't laugh too hard at it as it was my first time working with friction pegs ;):

Thanks for reading and in advance for any replies ;)

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-12-2023 at 09:32 AM

Those strings are way too long. The approximate length needed is about 5-6 pegs past the the peg it's going to. For the heavier strings (5-6) you can use less as the thick windings will create enough friction to keep them in place. From what I can see, it looks like you could halve the amount of extra string on most of those strings.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-12-2023 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Those strings are way too long. The approximate length needed is about 5-6 pegs past the the peg it's going to. For the heavier strings (5-6) you can use less as the thick windings will create enough friction to keep them in place. From what I can see, it looks like you could halve the amount of extra string on most of those strings.

Wow I see haha :) I guess that is why I experience issues. I honestly don’t know why the videos online always state that you should leave so much excess string. The same applies to the classical guitar.

I will shorten the strings when I get home from practising. For now I will have to live with the extra length as there aren’t any pliers available here :) Thanks for your suggestions :)

EDIT: This is the result of shortening the strings (and replacing most of them due to all the messing around which did take its toll on them). Now everything works like a charm :applause::

Go To Top