Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about aquila string gg
msalha
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 11:09 AM
question about aquila string gg

Hi,

I bought a set of custom aquila strings from music-strings.de. the scale is FF-FF.
The store sent me aquila NN for the FF and CC but for the GG they sent me a pair of PVDF by a different manufacturer. When I enquired why the GG is not aquila NN, they said the acquila NN for GG is too stiff so either I get a wound string or PVDF from a different manufacurer.

What worries me is after I string everything, I might get a different quality sound on the GG from the CC.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated,
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 11:43 AM

Hi msalha,

I agree with their statement. The Aquila gg supernylgut is is stiff/thick and doesn't produce a colorful sound. You are better off with PVF gg. I think PVF gg goes really well with Aquila supernylgut cc and ff.

I don't like wound gg either but this is my personal preference. Wound gg generates a sound that is distant from the next string down (cc).
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:15 PM

If you use scientific or helmholtz notation, it's easier to tell which strings you're talking about.

Scientific notation is low to high
C2
F2 (G2)
A2
D3
G3
C4
F4

Helmholtz is
C
F (G)
A
d
g
c'
f'

Are you talking about G3 (g)?

For that I use nylgut .70 to .76mm. It's not too stiff, it works great. Depends on the size of your oud. .70 is for about 60-61cm, .73-.76 would be for 58.5cm.

PVF doesn't blend well with nylgut imo.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
msalha
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:30 PM

Thank you both for your input. my oud is 57". I think both of you have great points. I never had a wound G3 string and I don't think it would sound good along with the one below it C4 ( as Brian mentioned). Now I have two choices either get my own NN Nyglut .73 to .76 mm or try what they sent me PVF G3.

I am leaning towards using Nyglut .76 as its an Iragi floating bridge and strong tension is good. This is the first time actually using an Iraqi oud, Bought it from Bahraini but I am updating the strings as the ones on it are two loose (not sure what brand).

Now where can I find single Nyglet NN from USA. The place I ordered from was in Germany and it takes more 2 weeks to ship plus the shipping expense
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msalha  
Thank you both for your input. my oud is 57". I think both of you have great points. I never had a wound G3 string and I don't think it would sound good along with the one below it C4 ( as Brian mentioned). Now I have two choices either get my own NN Nyglut .73 to .76 mm or try what they sent me PVF G3.

I am leaning towards using Nyglut .76 as its an Iragi floating bridge and strong tension is good. This is the first time actually using an Iraqi oud, Bought it from Bahraini but I am updating the strings as the ones on it are two loose (not sure what brand).

Now where can I find single Nyglet NN from USA. The place I ordered from was in Germany and it takes more 2 weeks to ship plus the shipping expense

Give whatever you have a try, you may end up liking it.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-20-2023 at 05:11 PM

on 57cm I would try .76mm. You might even go up to .79mm. I had a 58cm fixed bridge with .76mm and it worked well.

But I've known a number of players to use a wound g on floating bridge especially. But the only one that really works that I'm aware of is Pyramid lute .

Mustafa at oudstrings.com has them I believe and is shipping from the US.

Go To Top