Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How Often do you change your Oud Strings?
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 03:54 PM
How Often do you change your Oud Strings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru8DsqGqOSk&ab_channel=ALiYACYCO...

I'll admit that I don't change mine every year, but probably should.......
How about you?

:D
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 07:14 PM

I change them when they start sounding bad or the windings unravel or the string is unresponsive or dirty or there is some kind of problem. Sometimes I'll keep the trebles on longer than the wound strings.

I have several ouds and some get played more than others so the strings on those ouds get worn faster and get replaced more often. Strings on ouds in cases last longer than strings out in the open, at least here in San Francisco. In Arizona probably not.

It also depends also on what kind of strings I'm using. Pyramid lute strings cost a lot more and last a whole lot longer.

If I was playing oud professionally as I do on other instruments I would be changing strings more frequently. I'd want the best oud response I can get and if I'm earning money from playing oud I won't mind spending some of that on new strings. It's routine maintenance. It comes down to how many hours of playing has been done and under what circumstances. Hard playing wears out strings quicker. Perspiration kills the sound on some strings. But sometimes worn strings with short sustain gives an old fashioned Arabic sound that is attractive on some ouds.

Playing at home, and practicing, does not usually create much wear and tear. Playing under stage lights or playing in situations where I have to play harder to be heard will result in more frequent string changing.

In other words "It all depends"
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 03:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
I change them when they start sounding bad or the windings unravel or the string is unresponsive or dirty or there is some kind of problem. Sometimes I'll keep the trebles on longer than the wound strings.

I have several ouds and some get played more than others so the strings on those ouds get worn faster and get replaced more often. Strings on ouds in cases last longer than strings out in the open, at least here in San Francisco. In Arizona probably not.

It also depends also on what kind of strings I'm using. Pyramid lute strings cost a lot more and last a whole lot longer.

If I was playing oud professionally as I do on other instruments I would be changing strings more frequently. I'd want the best oud response I can get and if I'm earning money from playing oud I won't mind spending some of that on new strings. It's routine maintenance. It comes down to how many hours of playing has been done and under what circumstances. Hard playing wears out strings quicker. Perspiration kills the sound on some strings. But sometimes worn strings with short sustain gives an old fashioned Arabic sound that is attractive on some ouds.

Playing at home, and practicing, does not usually create much wear and tear. Playing under stage lights or playing in situations where I have to play harder to be heard will result in more frequent string changing.

In other words "It all depends"

Very thorough as always, Jody. Don't some trebles develop intonation issues if passed their prime?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 08:36 AM

I usually change strings about twice a year. Like Jody, I have several ouds and some get played more than others - if I don't play an oud often then I might go a year or two with the same strings as long as they don't get corroded.

The plain strings do generally last longer, and I will usually only change them every other time I change the wounds.

They can develop intonation problems if the pick creates wear in the picking area or the fingernails create wear in the fingerboard area. This seems more of a problem with PVF or Nylgut than nylon.

I keep my left hand fingernails very short, partly for this reason but mostly because I find long fingernails cause faster wear in the fingerboard. Depending on the risha you use, wear in the picking area may or may not be a problem. I had a student who hadn't changed his strings in something like 8 years, there were visible divots in the nylon strings from the pick and the wound strings were black with corrosion. The wound strings had been worn completely smooth in the first position from the left hand. Still, they sounded okay and he even had come to prefer the somewhat dead sound (it was dark/warm, no buzzing, more percussive).

John Vergara has suggested that corrosion itself may cause damage to the fingerboard wood. This seems unlikely to me, but it's something to keep in mind.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  

Very thorough as always, Jody. Don't some trebles develop intonation issues if passed their prime?

They do. But usually not as quickly as wound strings. "It all depends".
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2023 at 09:26 AM

Thank you both Brian and Jody. Invaluable information you guys provide.

Go To Top