Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud making buzzing on the metal strings
msalha
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 10:05 AM
oud making buzzing on the metal strings

Hi I just bought an expensive oud from Bahrain. Paid $1600 for it including shipping. When I received the oud, it the strings were buzzing. the shop owner Bahraini music shop, advised me to put new strings. I did but the buzzing did not go away. so I measured the end of the oud level compare to the surface body and found that the neck kept on going lower by the time I reached the end near the end of nut. the level was 5 millimeters below. I though the whole oud should be level from the sound board to the nut. The neck can be higher but it should be level. Do you think I got scammed or this is part of the design. I feel now the buzzing is coming from string touching the neck in more places.

Please help as I had high hopes considered that I paid $1600 from a reputable shop in Bahrain
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 11:18 AM

Hi Msalha,

That angle is designed in your oud intentionally. The reason is that with time, the strings pull the fingerboard up (due to tension) and action becomes higher and higher. So the negative angle is put there to counter this effect.

A handful of things can cause buzzing, such as low string tension, low action at the nut, etc. My guess is that you are not using the right strings for your oud. Can you measure from nut to bridge and report back?

-- Amir
msalha
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-18-2023 at 05:43 PM

Hi Amir,
It measure 57". I bought the strings from musicstrings.de they are supposed to be for the IRAQI style high tension Aquila strings.
Note that when my left finger is close to face the buzzing go a way but that means if I am at D string and putting my finger at G of the same string.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2023 at 04:13 AM

Hi Msalha,

With 57cm ouds, it's a bit tricky finding the right strings. Aquila 74O Nylgut Iraqi should work on your oud (if that is what you are using).

It's kind of hard to have a diagnosis without a video, can you film one and put it on youtube?

Something else you can try to see if tension is your main issue: tune the dd string half step higher and see if the buzzing persists (don't keep it in high tuning though, just do this for diagnosis). If buzzing goes away, then you can purchase heavier strings for that course.

-- Amir
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 4-20-2023 at 04:01 AM

I saw someone selling a 57cm OUD recently on reverb and this is what their post says:

"57 cm scale (I use La Bella strings tuned EF#BEAD, these are the strings currently on it)."

I use La Bella on one of my OUD's and I Like them. I had aquila nylgut's on one of my OUDs before and didn't like them on that OUD. I think it takes a bit of trial and error to find strings you like personally...

I find that sometimes if I tie the strings at the bridge a bit too long...the extra little bit of string hanging can vibrate against the bridge area when playing and cause 'buzzing'..... so I normally cut them even shorter once the OUD strings are settled in and tuned....
Cheers,
Matt

ps: with 'closed captions turned on....this video has some more good info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBtzlQw91Wo&ab_channel=SalaMuzik

and here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPRvng77Hjk&pp=ygUbc3RyaW5nIGJ1e...

Go To Top