Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud bridge glue
Naysab
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-22-2023 at 03:42 PM
Oud bridge glue

Hi everyone, my oud bridge suddenly snapped off and I am trying to find the best way to re-glue it on my own since I don’t have any luthiers around where I live. The oud maker recommended using Akfix super glue because it bonds instantly since I have rosettes and can’t use clamps to hold it, and he recommended supporting the entire oud from the bottom and putting 1-2 kg weights on the bridge so it can bond for a day or two. I have a pretty good oud hard case that I can use to do the support portion and equalize the weight.

I tried using this glue on two dummy wood pieces and honestly I was able to snap them with my hand and with the strings tension I am pretty sure it won’t hold.
I know that I should clean any glue residue on the bridge and the oud face but what is the best glue that I can use in this case and are there procedures recommended or cautions I should watch out for?

Thank you.

IMG_3084.jpeg - 91kB IMG_3083.jpeg - 127kB

IMG_3082.jpeg - 116kB
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2023 at 04:50 PM

Back in 1968 or 69 when the bridge of my Khalife oud came off, a clever local instrument repairman re-glued the bridge with warm hide glue. He tied strips of black inner tube from an old car tire diagonally around the round bowl and over the bridge. They were the "clamps". I can't recall how long he kept it clamped. A few days I think. It held for 40 years and may well still be holding ( I no longer have that oud).
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2023 at 06:37 PM

Hi Naysab,

There are plenty of videos on youtube on attaching guitar bridges. The fundamentals are the same with a small difference that acoustic guitar bridges have pins and ouds don't.

-- Amir
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 4-24-2023 at 06:50 AM

This happened on one of my OUD's when I first got it. I think the change of humidity may have been why in my case.
I agree with Jody that using Hide Glue is the best approach. It can be reheated for removal in future if more repair is needed, etc....
It is quite scary when this happens and you are in the same room when it happens... gives one heart failure from the noise :)) My OUD has held up well since!
Cheers,
Matt

Go To Top