Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hard vs. Soft Rishas
devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 01:00 AM
Hard vs. Soft Rishas

Do you guys prefer soft, rubbery rishas or hard, guitar pick-like rishas and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? What do most professional oud players use? I have both kinds, but I can't decide which ones to stick with; I keep switching back and forth. Also, I have no experience with horn rishas or anything, but I'd like to hear about those too.

Also sorry if this question has been asked a million times on here.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 10:07 AM

Hi!

I personally went through phases with all of the material named above, but ended up with Celluloid Oud picks as my main risha. It depends on your level of skill and your style of music.

majnuunNavid has a few good videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZfkUCt02E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpfMP-LyFUY

-- Amir
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 12:32 PM

Copying what I said in a previous post on the subject:

Quote:

I think it's helpful to practice using a wide variety of different picks, rather than always using the same pick. While it's normal to have a preference, and maybe you always use the same pick for performing, I've found that every type of pick will expose some technical deficiencies and cover up others. So trying different picks and noticing what you need to adapt to accommodate will over time yield a technique that is flexible and not dependent on a specific pick type.

Personally, I mostly make my own picks out of Delrin.
Otherwise I like celluloid okay.
The Mustafa Copcuoglu picks are also pretty good. I have a variety of horn picks that I like, but foor everyday use I find myself using delrin.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Personally, I mostly make my own picks out of Delrin.

Hi Brian, where would one source Delrin picks? Thanks

-- Amir
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-17-2023 at 10:54 PM

I have transitioned from rishas/mizraps made from nylon cable ties to ones made from pallet strapping. I have generally preferred harder picks, which I feel give me more precision, especially when playing fast passages. (I tended to use harder, small guitar picks, back when I was a jazz guitarist, many years ago, for similar reasons.) I have transitioned to picks made from pallet strapping, because they have FORCED me to take on a gentler picking technique, which has in turn cut down on the wear and tear on my right arm and wrist. My main teachers (Arabic style) had a negative initial reaction to my "new" rishas, feeling that they were too hard and springy, but were supportive when I explained that that was what seemed to be necessary to get me to (finally) properly relax my right wrist while playing. On the negative side, some Arabic musicians have complained that the attack when I pick is too "loud" and "clacky," though that's not my perception at all. One interesting change: As my picking technique has (slowly) softened in response to change to a harder, springier risha, the pallet strap picks, which used to split and crack on the ends when I first started using them, have now virtually stopped doing so.

I should also say that nylon cable ties take hours of sanding to get to the right thickness and shape, while the pallet strapping pieces are already the right thickness, and can be sanded into shape on the ends in about 10 or 15 minutes.

The attached photo is of (1) Risha made from medium weight pallet strapping and (2) Risha I made from automotive (?) plastic belt I found on the street. (I am always on the lookout for risha material, and willing to experiment with just about anything!)

2 John Risha Photo Plallet Strapping & Automotive Belt EVEN SMALLER IMAGE.jpg - 53kB
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  

Hi Brian, where would one source Delrin picks? Thanks

To my knowledge there is no retail source currently.

You can buy larger sheets of Delrin, and then cut to size. I have an old school paper cutter like this:

https://www.staples.com/Swingline-12-Guillotine-Paper-Trimmer-10-She...

A 12x12x1/32 sheet of Delrin should yield about 48 picks (0.5in x 6in)
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

To my knowledge there is no retail source currently.

Thank you Brian.

-- Amir
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 5-18-2023 at 10:28 PM

Since making those videos years ago, I am finding that regardless of the material, the thing that makes or breaks a risha for me is the shape of the tip now, and the right thickness. It definitely comes down to preference.

Go To Top