Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Highest and lowest strings popping out of nut groove
devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-9-2023 at 05:56 PM
Highest and lowest strings popping out of nut groove

I just got a new oud. A Yildrim sultan plus. I love it; it sounds great. I upgraded from an ethnic musical brand beginner oud (which also sounds good but in a different way). The only thing is I've been having an issue where the highest and lowest strings pop out of their slot in the nut when I'm tuning it up. They stay in place once it's tuned, but they pop out pretty easily. Should I file the grooves a little bit deeper myself, or is it that way for a reason? I don't want to mess it up, but I feel like the strings shouldn't pop out so easily.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2023 at 06:17 PM

Every new oud needs a bit of tiny adjustments at the beginning and this is one of them. You can get a set of guitar nut files and deepen the grooves; just don't over do it.

-- Amir
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-9-2023 at 08:55 PM

The files needs a lot of attention. If you deepen the channel too much, your strings will probably touch the neck and buzzing.

I have solved the same problem with the followings in order to avoid the modification of nut.

1. When you tunning the strings you must turning the keys slowly. It is important and help this problem.
2. You can try thinner strings. A good choice is Aquila Supernylgut or Aquila Red strings.
devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 05:47 AM

Update:

I decided to not mess with it, and now that the oud has been in tune for a long time, it is no longer an issue.
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-9-2023 at 09:11 PM

Good news.
The strings seats in the grooves. ?t took a while for the grooves to adjust as well.
Very well.

Go To Top