Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 1905 Manol Ud with Original Face!
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 05:42 PM
1905 Manol Ud with Original Face!

I have an exquisite 1905 Manol oud for sale. It has its original face. It is was brought here recently by the Turkish oud maestro Üstad Necati Çelik.

It is extremely rare to find an instrument of this age and quality with its original face, due to the fact that such thin faces rarely held up under use for more than sixty years or so. This one, however, has never been “banged on” with rough playing, or its face scraped with the mizrap, and has somehow been maintained over the years. It’s not one of those “lost in an attic” ouds; it has been played lovingly for nearly its entire life. It has had a number of repairs, but all have been done with a degree of craftsmanship. It has been carefully restored to ensure that all of the inevitable face cracks have been carefully and delicately reinforced from inside using only the most traditional methods. Everything is original, with no mindless modifications.

Even the delicate rosettes are original, and in nearly perfect condition! And the action is perfect, itself a rarity with old ouds.

The sound of this instrument is simply awesome. It is not only fabulously rich, but sings evenly throughout its range and across its strings. It can be played delicately, and is exquisitely responsive; but when pushed, its power and projection is simply startling, considering its age. It is easily one of the best sounding and loudest ouds I have ever heard, and one would not hesitate to play it in formal concert.

Its exact provenance will be available upon request, as some of the details are still being researched. There are no recording samples yet. I would much prefer to have prospective buyers visit in person, than to trust my own playing and limited recording equipment to demonstrate such an instrument!

This ud is an heirloom and a cultural treasure. The price is $ 9,995 US. This does include a hard case. It will be hard for me to part with it, but I cannot afford it, and it needs to be sold. I would like to transact a sale before my upcoming trip to Turkey, as Üstad Necati will not be returning to the U.S. in the foreseeable future.

I will be happy to answer any questions about this Manol. However, anyone who is seriously interested in acquiring it should consider coming to San Francisco, CA and being my guest for a day. Feel free to email me at hank@musicaravan.com or call at 415 492-0728.
--Hank Levin
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 05:45 PM

Here are the rosettes of the Manol, with a bit of the tortoise shell scratchplate.
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 05:48 PM

Side view of the Manol. Note the rich color of the walnut.
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 05:55 PM

Head and neck of Manol ud.
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 05:58 PM

Bottom of Manol…
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 06:00 PM

Three-quarter view of Manol…
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 06:03 PM

Back of Manol, from a slight angle…
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 08:01 PM

Thanks, Hank, for sharing pics of such an incredible instrument. Just incredible.
I know we have had this discussion before, but isn't it amazing how many of the great old instruments use a simple, small mizraplek/ mizrap guard like this one? I just can't believe that a huge plastic mizrapguard, like found on so many modern ouds, does not diminish sound quality.

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 4-15-2005 at 09:36 PM

Hank it is a beautiful instrument. What kind of wood is the back made of?
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 08:59 AM

Yes, Jonathan, I'm inclined to agree with you--although John Merjanian did not, and talked me into using an extended mizraplek on my Karabyan copy. He pointed out that even George Mgdechian (my idol at the time) tended to chew up the face and rosettes. However, Cinuçen Tanrikorur felt otherwise, and instruments made to his specs have a really teeny mizraplek. Mustafa's ouds, BTW, which are largely copies of the Manol, use essentially the same size and shape as Manol, and I feel this is most esthetic as well as optimum protection for me.

When I first began to play oud, my mizrap always hit the face. In fact, I even extended the protection even beyond the mizraplek by carefully glueing thin acetate around other areas that were getting beat up, using spray adhesive. Then several Turkish musicians observed that my sound really sucked, and I should stop hitting the face. I didn't quite know how, until I began to study with Necati, who showed me how one can hit the strings quite hard without hitting the face.

Andy, the wood seems to be Circacian Walnut, in alternating dark and light strips, with ebony stripes between. If I didn't know that this wood comes in a variety of colors, I'd be inclined to think it was walnut and mahogany. The porosity varies from one strip to another, and there is no consistent difference between ribs. However, I think that walnut was far more available in Istanbul than mahogany at that time. I never noticed a mahogany smell working on it, and there are a couple of ribs where both colors appear in the same rib. So I say for now that it's all walnut.
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 11:17 AM

I once owned exactly the same model of oud by Manol. Also made in 1910. One of the saddest days in my life came when I bubble wrapped it, put it in its case, bubble wrapped and styrofoam packed the case in a strong cardboard box and shipped it UPS to my teacher, John Bilezikjian. It arrived irretrievably broken. Please, please, please, send this precious beautiful and irreplaceable oud to its new owner in, perhaps a wooden crate with the case and bubble-wrapped oud inside. asalaam, shalom, Steve (also in San Francisco)
dahun
Oud Addict

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 11:39 AM

How awsome, Hank!
It would be great, if somehow you could post a sound clip. I imagine many of us have never heard an original Manol.
I would also like to hear how it compares to the Moustafa, which, as you know, I own and like very much.

Please, please, please post a sound. :applause:

Thanks for sharing.

Béla
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 07:50 PM

Hi Bela--

As I mentioned, it will probably be a while before I can make a recording and short MP3 on this oud. I'm thinking about it, though. Hope you're doing well up there in Bellingham! --Hank
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2005 at 10:33 AM

With such a high price and a precious instrument, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to transport the instrument urself or have the buyer travel to pick it up.:bowdown:

Chris
mehmet
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 05:19 AM

lovely oud. price is very hi. would you be willing to negotiate? what if i offer you 4000 euro for it to start?
thank you,
mehmet
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 06:43 AM

The price really does not seem out of line. How often does an original Manol show up? I wish I could afford it, but it certainly seems like it would be worth the asking price.

mehmet
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 07:52 AM

hello jonathan. not to be rude but in my part of the world we bargain for everything. it is true this is a lovely oud and looks in good condition for such an old one. maybe hank and i could meet in half way. i do not know unless i ask. please forgive me.
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 10:09 AM

Hi, folks!

I appreciate any offers; but they should really be made directly to me at hank@musicaravan.com rather than publicly to become subject of comment (regardless of how legitimate!).

Let me say that as far as I know, there is no other Manol for sale in the world right now, especially with original face and in good playing position. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of wiggle room on the price, as it has already incurred costs. We know of one in Ankara that is in perfect condition, whose owner refused an offer of £30,000. --Hank
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 11:34 AM

Aaaah Hank,

I was convinced this post would be the one with a sound file... Everytime you respond my heart jumps a little with the hope that I'll get to hear this beautiful ud. I can't honestly afford this Venios ud, as much as it hurts me to consider it, so you don't need to post for me...but please do, if you pity us at all!

It would be a double treat to hear the instrument and your playing on it.

Regards from New York.

Sincerely,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Isagani
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 02:09 PM

I had the great fortune of hearing this Manol in person. From a first impression, the mid to treble range sounds remarkably similar to the Mustafa I have in terms of tone and projection. The bass is actually louder and stronger on the Manol. It is indeed surprisingly robust for such an old instrument. The back is simply gorgeous and elegant. Hank, I appreciate the experience!

Cordially,
Jose
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 02:41 PM

It's a beautiful oud indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. I agree with Hank though; let's keep the negotiating (which I also think is typical of items such as this) on a person-to-person basis. Thanks again for sharing these photos Hank. Oh, and do those people who refused the 30,000 pounds want to adopt a son? ;)

Mike

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 06:55 PM

A bit off topic, I guess, but does anybody know from whom Manol learned oudmaking?

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:48 AM

I have the luck to play an exactly same instrument made in 1905 every day,and ho knows,maybe one day I will purchase it.....
the truth is that they are amazing instruments.
It's the one that I was based to do my Turkish inlayed instrument:D.
Regards to all
Spyros Greece

udi19002000
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 04:40 AM

Spyro
can you please send a foto of your Manol oud and if it's easy a sound clip of this oud?
Kai perissoteres plhrofories an mporeis.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 05:09 AM

In the past I have put some photos of the instrument,together with my inlayed ,
If you wish come to see it and maybe play it my friend
Einai dyskolo na hxografhsw to oyti kai na to balw sto site.alla fwtografies mporw na soy steilw an 8es,apla epikoinwnhse mazi moy,h' kalytera kateba kapoia stigmh na to deis apo konta.to organo den einai pros pwlhsh.....einai 8ema paradoshs
Best Regards
Spyros

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top