Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What tuning do you leave your oud in?
devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 12:10 PM
What tuning do you leave your oud in?

What are popular tunings for Ouds set up C to C? Obviously the most popular is the standard arabic CFADGC (low to high), but I've seen greek and armenian players tune up the bottom 2 courses a whole step pretty often (so DGADGC low to high). I'm not familiar with any others, though. Are there any other popular tunings viable for an oud tuned C to C with standard arabic strings? And what tuning do you leave your oud in the most?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 12:43 PM

There are a bunch of threads about this topic you can probably find by searching.

The basic takeaway is that the bottom strings can be tuned various ways within reason.
The 'standard' Arabic tunings for the lowest two strings are:
C F
D G
C G

I leave mine in C F almost all the time unless there is something I particularly want a different open low string for.
Sometimes, I'll tune the lowest string to D but leave the 5th as F, so I end up with DFAdgc'.

I've also know players to tune the 5th to E (particularly for something like A Kurd or Nahawand). In that case the 6th course could still be C or D, or possibly go down to B.

B' E A d g c' would be equivalent to the modern Turkish tuning (C# F# B e a d') but down a step.

I don't know anyone who does this for Arabic music, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to use the other modern Turkish tuning down a whole step, with the lowest string an octave below the 4th course - so A' E A d g c' (equivalent to B' F# B e a d'). For that you'd probably want a heavier string.

There are older recordings where people (like Qassabgi) tune the 4th course up a half step (so Bb in standard tuning) to facilitate maqams like Kurd on C or Bayati on C. The resulting tuning would be C F Bb d g c'. This used to be more common I think since people played on long ouds. With modern ouds usually being 58-60cm it's not really common - you can train your little finger to play those notes.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 12:55 PM

Thank you Brian! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'd definitely like to try the modern Turkish tuning down a step. One thing I'm wondering is what do you mean when you put a (') after a note in the tuning?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by devinrevin  
Thank you Brian! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'd definitely like to try the modern Turkish tuning down a step. One thing I'm wondering is what do you mean when you put a (') after a note in the tuning?

You're welcome.
The use of capital/lowercase and prime symbol designates the specific pitch and octave:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_pitch_notation

So it makes clear the exact tuning, not just the pitch names.

Really the prime for octave below is supposed to be below the note ( C‚ ) but this looks too much like a comma here so I just use a regular mark ( C’ ).
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 01:35 PM

Alternatively you can use scientific pitch notation, where C4 is middle C (the 1st course).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

So the standard oud tuning is C2 F2 A2 D3 G3 C4.

In this nomenclature, the "Turkish down a step" would be B1 E2 A2 D3 G3 C4.

devinrevin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-16-2023 at 02:28 PM

Ohhh okay I see. I'm just more used to seeing C3, C2, C4, etc.
That is good to know.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-17-2023 at 12:07 AM

That's an interesting note about Qassabji tuning the 4th course to Bb. I didn't know that! I discovered this tuning for myself too, and thought it has potential to solve some problems oud sometimes encounters in Persian music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SBRbcq9B2M

These days, I keep one of my Ouds tuned to CFADgc for giving lessons and YouTube videos, and tune up to CGADgc only when I need it for Persian tunes.

Otherwise, all my other Ouds are tuned down a half-step or lower, because I like the sound and the string feel.

Go To Top