Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Contact Microphone/Surface mount pickup reccomendations
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 01:50 AM
Contact Microphone/Surface mount pickup reccomendations

Hello Friends,

Performing demands mean I now need to amplify my oud. However, I love my instrument as it is and don't want to start drilling or modifying it to fit pickups etc.

Does anyone recommend a contact microphone or surface mounted pickup that will get a nice high quality sound from my soundboard?

Ideally, it would be something that can be removed/wont damage the finish on the oud's face. Happy to hear your ideas.

- Nick

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 06:00 AM

In my opinion the sound produced by contact microphones or pickups will be so different from the real sound of your personal oud that you might be better off getting a cheap oud and using whatever devices are needed to get a sound loud enough to be heard. If there are marks left on the face by glue or holes drilled etc, you won't care. The amplified sound will be similar to the amplified sound of your treasured oud when amplified by these devices.

Another option is to use an excellent and well-placed external microphone on the oud you love and have an excellent sound technician on the gig. As I have mentioned before in another thread I have played oud through a good mic in a band that included electric bass and set of trap drums. Not my favorite situation but I heard myself well and the audience heard the oud well. The essential element was a competent sound engineer. It may seem that such people are harder to find these days than a two hundred dollar Manol or Nahat oud in perfect condition but they do exist.
Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:22 PM

I use AKG Pro Audio C411 PP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B052MZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_...

BUT I also have to use a pre-amp with it so I can really dial in my sound. Note that the AKG requires phantom power so it may be more trouble to you then it's worth. I mainly use it on gigs where there are a lot of other instruments in the ensemble and I need to avoid feedack.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Eric Stern Music  

BUT I also have to use a pre-amp with it so I can really dial in my sound. Note that the AKG requires phantom power so it may be more trouble to you then it's worth. I mainly use it on gigs where there are a lot of other instruments in the ensemble and I need to avoid feedack.

The Amazon description is typically bizarre. This mic adheres to the instrument face with an adhesive. Amazon or AKG writes in bold black letters that the recommended use for this mic is for "Singing, Karaoke". Mmm Hmm. I wonder, does one affix the mic to the forehead, nose, chin, left or right cheek, top of the head, or right over the mouth? Who writes these things? Or did AI do this?
I kinda like the picture of gluing the thing between my eyebrows. I can see a whole choir doing this. With matching hats.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 01:05 PM

I've used one of these as well. Sound is pretty good, better than most contact mics. It's fairly nasal but can be quite natural-sounding with a decent EQ and preamp.

The Pick Up the World pickup is the best pickup I've tried, sound is pretty neutral. Works best combined with a microphone but even alone is pretty good. You can get it with a built in preamp that works well, it doesn't need batteries as it works with rechargeable capacitors.

Viken Najarian makes a contact mic/pickup - it's okay, needs a preamp.

Lots of people have used the K&K twin spot, I have no direct experience using that one.

I tried the B-band pickup, it sounded pretty good but was fairly finicky technically and I eventually gave up.

I sometimes use a Myers pickup, which is actually a mic. It attaches to the oud with a suction cup, which is the weak spot - the suction cup needs to be reattached every song or the oud vibrations cause it to fall off. It sounds good though and is pretty feedback-resistant for a microphone.

Eric Stern Music
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 10:03 PM

I had the K&K Twin spot but I like the AKG better. As for attaching I just got some double-sided thick tape and I cut off a very small piece each time. No cosmetic (or other) damage to my ouds at all. Brian makes a good point: A pick-up combined with a mic (and a pre-amp etc.) makes for a pretty nice sound.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 9-7-2023 at 08:36 PM

I use a transducer pickup developed by Southern California oud luthier Viken Najarian: http://www.oud.net/index.htm Never gave me any problems, though, of course, an oud amplified by a pickup always sounds more "electronic" than a mic'ed oud.
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Viken Najarian makes a contact mic/pickup - it's okay, needs a preamp.

Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 01:16 PM

Brian - I have also used the Viekn Najarian PU for years, I can get it to sound OK when I run it through an EQ pedal with all the Mids pulled down, and the mid knob on the amp also rolled all the way off.

I am curious to know is you have done much different than that.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jaffa Road  
Brian - I have also used the Viekn Najarian PU for years, I can get it to sound OK when I run it through an EQ pedal with all the Mids pulled down, and the mid knob on the amp also rolled all the way off.

I am curious to know is you have done much different than that.

I haven't used it in a long time.
I found it sounded decent. The level was low but usable with a preamp (or an amp that had a good preamp section).
It gets pretty loud before feedback, though does better if you eq out some of the bass and low mids. The upper range was fairly clicky and pickup-y sounding, IMO.

I don't like most EQ pedals as the tend to add their own electronic 'color' to the sound, even totally flat.

It's a decent option, but the PUTW pickup is much more natural-sounding IMO.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2024 at 02:52 PM

Hi Maybe you could look at a Meyers feather mic system It’s still reasonably priced narrow goose neck small capsule mic with clip on battery pre amp. I’ve run it through a good quality Acus accoustic combo and it sounded well in front of a 20 piece string and brass ensemble. They’re easy to attach with Velcro pads from the edge of the bowl rather than on the face.
https://www.myerspickups.com/products/the-feather

Kelly
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2024 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kelly  
Hi Maybe you could look at a Meyers feather mic system It’s still reasonably priced narrow goose neck small capsule mic with clip on battery pre amp. I’ve run it through a good quality Acus accoustic combo and it sounded well in front of a 20 piece string and brass ensemble. They’re easy to attach with Velcro pads from the edge of the bowl rather than on the face.
[url]https://www.myerspickups.com/products/the-feather
[/url]

I have both the feather and the grip. The sound is great, but I haven't been able to find a way to mount that I was happy with. Don't the velcro pads damage the finish? If you can share a photo of your setup I'd be curious.

Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-31-2024 at 11:52 AM

Hi Brian.
Found a pic. Just need to work out how to post. It’s been a while and file size of the photo is too big.
I could email it to you if that helps?

The Velcro is attached to the edge of the bowl left of where you might rest the oud on your knee and up towards the neck. The capsule then can be positioned close to the large shamsia. It’s a bit of a delicate arrangement but works. Tho definitely not going to make it through a busy Goth oud night.

I’ve not tried removing the Velcro from this Peter oud and now it is in the expert hands of a Palestinian friend of mine and it doesn’t seem to bother her too much

Kelly

Go To Top