Author: Subject: Question about tuning new oud
leop_ardee
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-24-2023 at 11:19 PM
Question about tuning new oud

Hi all

I just received my first oud which is this one
https://www.ethnicmusical.com/shop/arabic-oud-pro-maple/

Unfortunately it has arrived with rusted strings. The strings were loosened for shipping.

I'm finding it hard to maintain tuning (Arabic C to C) - this might be due to my inexperience. I have found that the peg box is a bit of a mess with the strings overlapping each other. I have found that the tuning pegs want to give in to string tension and just unravel. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not pushing the tuning pegs in hard enough, or because one tuning peg's strings are pushing other strings while tuning, causing things to unravel.

Any advice would be welcome. Do I just need to tidy up the peg box and get better at tuning? Will new strings improve the situation? or could there be a problem with the instrument?

Appreciate your replies
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-25-2023 at 10:49 AM

Hello,

Congrats on your first oud!

What you are facing here is typical for new oud players and new ouds. It's always recommended to restring any instrument (oud, guitar, etc) with fresh strings when buying new as the default ones sit in storage for a long time and may not be the best quality strings. Part of your journey includes finding the best set of strings that would make your oud sing, so I suggest trying different brands every few months or so.

Regarding the pegs wanting to unwind, this is a common issue too. You can address it by spraying your pegs with talcum/baby powder which increases friction. With increase in air humidity as you approach summer in Auckland, this issue will go away (the pegs will absorb humidity and expand).

On the issue of messy peg box, you can manage this when you change strings and make it better but you'll need a bit of experience which comes with time. There are a couple of way you can string your instrument (what string goes to what peg). I find the traditional way a bit unnecessary complex and do it the simple way (strings and pegs are connected sequentially).

Hope this info helps!

-- Amir

Go To Top