Author: Subject: Rusted strings on new oud
leop_ardee
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-24-2023 at 11:19 PM
Rusted strings on new oud

Hi there

I just received my first oud from Ethnic Musical, it's this one:
https://www.ethnicmusical.com/shop/arabic-oud-pro-maple/

Unfortunately it arrived with old rusted strings and the tone isn't great, which I think is due largely to the strings. I've asked Ethnic Musical if they will provide new strings but they haven't answered.

My questions:

1. is it common to receive rusted old strings on ouds, as it makes me concerned about the quality of the company to be honest.

2. will a change in strings likely improve the sound, or is it just likely to be my beginner technique or the quality of the oud itself?

Thanks!
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 11-30-2023 at 06:03 AM

1. Strings, depending on instrument use, should be changed regularly regardless....They should send new strings. even after short time, without playing, they could get older. If they are really rusted, it makes me think it was a demo model that had other fingers on them leaving oils and moisture that could rust. Why did they not reply? I would try them again, and speak kindly!
I am more concerned with poor customer service, then rusted strings, one of which can be changed....
The ad says these are Kurschner Premium medium tension strings installed...which are german strings...they should send you a new set that matches that oud!
2. Yes, if they are rusted, it will certainly sound better with new strings, once they are 'broken' in....
One of the first tedious things i learned when i started on oud was how to change strings...its can be a pain and time consuming, but if you do it correctly, each string will go on well and it wont be so hard...watch lots of video!
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Matt
oystereyes
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 05:32 AM

Funny, I just bought a new oud from Sala Muzik, also in Turkey and i was amazed at how badly it sounded. While the strings are not rusted when I sent a video to the seller he told me it needs new strings.

Why are they selling ouds with old or faulty strings on them? I get that an Oud can sit around for a long while before being sold but come on, we're paying hundreds if not thousands for these things. I picked mine up in person and they didn't even bother to tune it, so when they gave me a few minutes to try playing it i couldn't tell a thing. Strange.

Go To Top