Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Experience Breaking in Soundboard
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-10-2023 at 02:42 PM
Experience Breaking in Soundboard

I've always been envious of players with ouds whose high strings produce that bell-like split overtone ringing sound.

After acquiring a nice Ramazan Calay oud I was almost disappointed at how stiff the soundboard was compared to older instruments I've owned... until last week when, after almost a year of playing it, the soundboard suddenly relaxed!

Now when you tap the face of the oud, it feels far more responsive and produces a range of different tones, instead of the dull fundamental it used to.

Just curious about others' experiences with spruce soundboards and the break-in period. How long did it take? Have you ever disliked the way your oud matured?

maraoud108
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-11-2023 at 06:36 AM

I experienced this with an oud I purchased a few years back made with a Canadian Cedar top.

It sounded lifeless when I purchased it, but now it's really starting to open up. The oud sounds beautiful.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-12-2023 at 11:01 AM

I think it depends on how much (and how well, haha) you play it. Also I've found if I don't play an oud for a while, the soundboard goes back to sleep and needs a period of playing-in to wake back up.

My Peter Sayegh oud sounded great immediately, but after about 6 months of playing it really woke up. But it is temperamental and if I don't play it for a month it will close up a bit.

My Adeeb (Oud Salon) oud was a little sterile at first, but again after about 6 months really became very warm and full.

Both have spruce tops.

I've had ouds that Simon Shaheen played on, and I swear after a hour of him playing on it, the sound changed!

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-19-2023 at 06:10 PM

The breaking in of an soundboard has many factors. One is that over time moisture leaves the board, making it lighter and denser at the same time. Certainly when it's played on the vibration of the top helps pump more resonance out the soundhole. Initially the soundboard will need to settle where it's most relaxed, and that's when you really notice it "open up".

There is a device one can buy called "ToneRite", which when installed will vibrate the top at various frequencies, mimicking having been played on a lot.

In general acoustic instruments such as guitars, violins, ouds are very complex and are full of so many surprises.

hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-27-2023 at 06:07 AM

I'm afraid my ramazan calay always remained a bit dull, but my other two ouds, which were better from the start, do seem to benefit from regular playing. that's why i laughed when the seller of those said that professional oud players usually own up to 15 ouds. he's a nice guy but his selling tactics are never very subtle. to own many ouds is only a good idea if you have ten hours a day available for playing all of them
Tulis
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-28-2023 at 12:38 AM

I played my new oud almost at frustration.
After about a year and a half, it suddenly transformed into a wonderful sound.
I can't explain it. Maybe because it was somewhat "fresh" and after some time the woods and materials removed their moisture.
However, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Huge improvement. And this after a year and a half. (????)
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-29-2023 at 02:53 PM

I'm a big believer in trying the very simple things first when it comes to troubleshooting. So in the realm of sound, you should try different strings.

There are various manufacturers of strings, to which each brings its own unique sounds.

Generally speaking if your oud is bright you want something to balance that, or if its dark, the same. If its too powerful, you might want to tame the harshness, if it's not enough, you can bump up the gauge.

Please never never ask me what strings I use, because I use them all. Sometimes I mix as many as 3 sets on one oud to get the sound I'm looking for. But the next oud needs a totally different recipe.

kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 05:15 AM

I'm so frustrated, the person I bought my oud from sold it to me as being French polished. Given the slight amber tint and slightly duller sheen I didn't think twice.

Well I went to remove it, and after doing spot tests with denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner (which had no effect), I went to Mr Calay himself.

He confirmed the finish is "Varnak Lake". A quick google search and you'll find two part epoxies and acrylic based gloss finishes.

I'm so frustrated! Why would you do that to a delicate soundboard? No wonder it's stiff and taking forever to break in, the whole thing is sealed with a layer of plastic resin!

John has advised that I don't attempt to strip the plastic finish. The only viable solution I can think of otherwise is testing art conservators' acrylic varnish remover, which are usually gentle enough to not eat pigment and damage canvases/woodblocks.

Go To Top