Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice for Buying my Second Oud
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 07:56 PM
Advice for Buying my Second Oud

Hi everyone. Long time since I have been on this forum. I recently found out there was a very good oud maker living in my city (he has played with and had his ouds tested by Najib and Simon Shaheen who approved). He was kind enough to let me try some of his ouds, and I was blown away by the sound.

I currently have an "Apprentice" oud from MauriceOudShop that I bought in 2018. I like it, but after hearing what a really great oud sounds like in person, I think it is time to get a second one, and I was already thinking of doing so, anyway.

So, I am asking how one goes about this. Getting a good beginner oud seems relatively easy these days with Maurice, Zeryab, EthnicMusical, etc all offering decent-sounding instruments at a fair price. However, how have you all gone about buying really nice ouds, particularly online? It would be great if I could just try out a Peter Sayegh or Mowais oud, but that seems unlikely. Any advice is appreciated.

coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2023 at 10:33 AM

Hi MoH,

The process for me was mostly trial and error - I think it's the same for many folks around here. I never had a chance to try an oud from known makers (let alone try one to purchase). So over time, I ordered ouds from makers that I thought their sound profile would be favorable to my ear and let go of the ouds I didn't like. I went through 4 iterations till I found my current instrument which is an absolute keeper. I need to say my musical taste has also developed over time and I have gained a lot of knowledge just by having conversations with luthiers about my needs and their products.

If you have access to a local luthier making ouds that you like, you are luckier than most members of this forum! Why not support your local luthiery and buy directly from them?

-- Amir
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 1-12-2024 at 11:08 AM

MoH,

Where do you l live? I have a shop an hour north of New York city where I make nice ouds at different price ranges. Considering stopping by and trying them in person as that's always the best way to find what you're looking for.

Go To Top