Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying oud (hobby player)
need4oud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 10:51 PM
Buying oud (hobby player)

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy an Arabic oud. I'm not a musician and I only play a couple of instruments only as a hobby and most of the time I cannot even tell much difference between the expensive instruments compared to lower end ones. I would be learning this instrument from scratch. We don't have any stores around here that sell ouds so I will have to buy online.

I've decided on getting an Egyptian oud, and I'd like to limit my budget to around $900 (limit it at that value, not spend that amount).

I've seen ouds that start from $350+, and I'm looking to buy the "cheapest" one that is not "horrible" for someone like me. A lot of online stores seem to list their instruments (new) on Ebay and Etsy (or others sell the same looking ones) with different prices. This has made it difficult for me to figure out what the "fair price" for the "cheapest" one that is not "horrible" for a beginner is.

As an example, if the $350 ouds are "bad", I don't mind paying $500 to get something that is "decent" for a beginner like me. But at the same time, I don't want to pay $500 for something that is really worth $350 or that I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 04:43 AM

Hi friend,

Where are you located? Your best bet for getting a quality oud for a reasonable price is to buy one second hand from a fellow oud player. There is a FB group "Oud Forum" and I regularly see ouds for sale. Also check out Fb market place for ouds near you.

-- Amir
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 10:20 PM

For that price range I would recommend getting a Syrian Oud from either Zeryab or Ibrahim Sukar. I have one from each builder and they are both very nice instruments for the price. Both also come with adjustable action with a tress rod. Both I believe are available on line. I ordered one from Ibrahim Sukar. You can look at his various models on his website and choose one. I chose one of his upper models and including shipping it cost me approximately $925.00. Totally worth it. I love it. Looks and sounds great with a very nice traditional Arabic sound. I can include pictures if you would like. I also made a video of the the unpacking of the Oud when it arrived.

Go To Top