Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best Budget Oud on the web
mulayimhasbelkader
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-24-2024 at 06:29 PM
Best Budget Oud on the web

Hi,

I would like to hear your recommendations on not-so-pricey but good-sounding TURKISH ouds from the web sites well known by the community (sala, ethnic, sultan etc.)

I have no high expectations and only want to have an oud with satisfying sound. Satisfying here means a sound which will at least have the characteristic oud sound, not an ordinary string instrument, wont have issues with buzz, the height of the strings will be short etc.

I have bought my other oud from directly from a seller and never used these web sites to buy an oud before.

Did you have bad experiences with some of these sellers' lower price ouds before?

For instance, I have found this recently opened website and a beginner series oud : https://theorientvalley.com/product/beginner-series-mahagony-oud/

Do you recommend this maker (Kamil Gul) and his beginner level ouds? It looks like he was working with one of the other sellers and started his own business.

Thank you!!
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2024 at 06:51 PM

Hi there,

I have tried my hand in purchasing a $300 oud before and it was borderline unplayable. While some of those ouds are better that others, general rule of thumb is that a $300 oud won't be good investment unless you can try them in person and hand pick one among many that you try.

Regarding Kamil Gul, some members here on the forum have been happy with their Gul ouds (do a search and you'll find some posts). I'd buy one of his signature ouds, like this one:

https://theorientvalley.com/product/kamil-gul-classic-series-pommela...

-- Amir
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-24-2024 at 07:17 PM

I recently bought an expensive Yildrim Palybik oud from Sultan Instruments. They have budget instruments as well. I have not tried those but I can say that their shipping and customer service was excellent. I belive they have instruments that start at around $600

Go To Top