Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What to buy after a Maurice Shehata?
Johnnyboy
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-27-2024 at 02:52 PM
What to buy after a Maurice Shehata?

Hello dear fellow oud players,

I have been playing on a Maurice Shehata for almost a decade now and would like to buy and try a different oud that meets or exceeds this standard.

I am not really familiar with known quality oud makers other than Maurice Shehata. Can someone name me a few based on his/her experiences?

Also, do quality ouds sometimes have built-in pickups or does this affect the acoustic sound quality itself because of the internal wiring?

Looking forward to any advice.
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 03:22 PM

Hossein Karimian is fantastic, but expensive
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 02:21 PM

I think that Mohamed Adeeb (oud salon) is making superb Arabic ouds.

Peter Sayegh is also top-notch (but is no longer shipping, last I checked, and his wait list is quite long)

John Vergara is also top-notch, amazing ouds.

All three are (in my opinion) as good as or better than Shehata (with the caveat that there are specific qualities in Egyptian ouds that some prefer as a matter of taste). Mahmoud Mustafa is another excellent Egyptian maker.

Some makes will add a pickup - it doesn't affect the acoustic sound quality unless you somehow had loose wires rattling around or something.
Usually you have to add it later. Of the above makers, Vergara is the only one I know of who will add a pickup.

Hossein Karimian's work looks amazing and I've heard great things, but haven't had an opportunity to try myself.

Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 03:44 PM

I have an Oud from Nazih Ghadban that I love. It has a beautiful Arabic sound.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 05:27 PM

I highly recommend Hatef Shaterian who is making superb ouds out of Berlin. I have one of his recent instruments and am very happy with it.

-- Amir
dinausuare
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 11:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
I think that Mohamed Adeeb (oud salon) is making superb Arabic ouds.

Peter Sayegh is also top-notch (but is no longer shipping, last I checked, and his wait list is quite long)

John Vergara is also top-notch, amazing ouds.

All three are (in my opinion) as good as or better than Shehata (with the caveat that there are specific qualities in Egyptian ouds that some prefer as a matter of taste). Mahmoud Mustafa is another excellent Egyptian maker.

Some makes will add a pickup - it doesn't affect the acoustic sound quality unless you somehow had loose wires rattling around or something.
Usually you have to add it later. Of the above makers, Vergara is the only one I know of who will add a pickup.

Hossein Karimian's work looks amazing and I've heard great things, but haven't had an opportunity to try myself.

I share the same opinion with most luthiers you cited, but how about Simaan kameel mwes, the son of the legendary Kameel Mwes from Palestine?

I've heard some of his ouds from good players like Emil Bishara and I find the sound top-notch as well.

Go To Top