Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Your opinion about this Nahat oud? Are these cracks a big deal?
dinausuare
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-6-2024 at 02:56 AM
Your opinion about this Nahat oud? Are these cracks a big deal?

Hello everyone,

I found this Nahat oud for sale, the seller is asking for around 5300 USD.

What are your opinions? And are these cracks a problem?

Should it be repaired or restored?

Thanks in advance

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-6-2024 at 08:32 PM

I'm not the biggest Nahat expert here so hopefully some of them will chime in. But I've seen and played a dozen or so over the years.

The cracks themselves are not uncommon in older instruments and can be repaired, so in that sense are not inherently a "big deal."
Depending on the severity of the cracks and the competency of the repairs, how big a deal they are could vary quite a bit.

It's generally preferable to repair cracks than replace a face on an instrument like this, but some people like John Vergara have done spectacular refurbishments with a newly-constructed face. Someone who is a serious player may prefer a new face, but as a collectible the value is higher with an original face (even if the sound and playability are compromised).

The raqma looks like it may have been replaced, and the small rosettes appear to be later replacements as well, lacking the fine detail expected on Nahat instruments.

More concerning, the purfling appears to have been replaced, which is usually a sign that the top has been replaced or at least had major surgery.
I'd want to see more pictures but I'd be concerned about the overall authenticity of this instrument.

For $5300, one has a lot of options. As a player, I would pass on this at that price.

But for example, this Qandalaft oud from OudProf is slightly less money and in much better condition: https://oudprof.com/en/products/old-syrian-oud-qandalaft-1977-193068...

This Nahat is similar in price but in better condition: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256167298564
I have some questions about how original that one is too, but it seems like a great instrument at least.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
dinausuare
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 11:49 PM

Thank you for the valuable information, Brian. I have been looking at Oudprof's website and the seller has a good number of Nahat ouds, quite impressive!

I wonder if anyone has had experience with this seller.

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 3-30-2024 at 07:29 PM

For the record, I go out of my way not to replace a soundboard unless I have to. I have done a plethora of new soundboard on antique ouds, but most of which had the original soundboard replaced, and the secondary one failed! So at that point I rip that sucker off and try to make one that looks as close to original as possible. I've also removed several original soundboards, to do extensive repairs in order to put it back on. Those were the ones worth keeping of course.

Those cracks may or may not be something serious, depending on how well they're repaired. The worst being the cracks behind the bridge. The area behind the bridge is the most critical for multiple reasons. One that's where most of the tension is so it's important structurally, and of course that's where most of the sound is produced. The crack higher up can be a problem if it travels further south. But all of these can be fixed, if they haven't already.

MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dinausuare  

I wonder if anyone has had experience with this seller.

Yes, indeed! OudProff is a wonderful seller. He ships from Ammon, so you have to factor in shipping costs and such, but He is a pleasant seller with great Ouds.
Cheers,
Matt

Go To Top