Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question on Lavta
OudAvi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-7-2024 at 01:57 PM
Question on Lavta

Hello friends,

I’m an Oud player and collector however I’m interested in learning how to play the Lavta now, I have four questions and would appreciate if anyone could help or offer some advice!

1. From which luthier can I commission a beautiful Lavta?
2. Or where can I purchase an antique collectible Lavta?
3. Are there any good Lavta instructors who speak English?
4. How similar is Lavta to oud?

Thanks!
Avi
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 10:31 AM

dimitris rapakousios makes beautiful lavtas,,he is on instagram,,i have 2 of his.his turnaround is very fast's well from when you order, he speaks English and ships, old lavtas are harder to find and usually need work, the older ones also have a different sound as the new ones have have really prospered and developed in the last 20 years, especially in greece,one of the best lava teachers is Perikles Papapetropoulos who teaches regularly at Labyrinth workshops in crete and Spain, he has many videos on you tube, he also lives in athens and teaches privately ,,lavta is quite different then oud,,, using the frets and longer neck, risha technique , but is fairly easy if you play oud already, ,, blessing for your journey, its a good one
maraoud108
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 11:30 AM

While I didn't study with Perikles, I have taken several Labyrinth classes and have nothing but praise for them.

Really top notch instruction. Super challenging.

Go To Top