Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: keeping strings tension/in tune, cracked soundboard
kokomal
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 08:24 AM
keeping strings tension/in tune, cracked soundboard

My turkish oud cracked on the soundboard next to the long ebony fingerboard, just above and below. Custom made from turkey, Turkish walnut back and Turkish spruce soundboard. I'm guessing this was from low humidity in my house, but this has not happened on any of my guitars in 10 years, same house. same conditions..

Do people tension down their ouds when not playing or do u keep tension on the strings when not playing. I play at least a few times a week. Could this have happend from me leaving tension on the strings? Tuning EABead
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 08:52 AM

It's not a tension problem, it is a humidity problem (usually low humidity).

The ebony fingerboard and the spruce face expland/contract at different rates and this causes the wood to crack. It's not necessarily anything to worry about, and may close back up when the humidity increases. Keep an eye on it and see if it worsens.

Ouds are much more susceptible to cracking than guitars.
Proper humidity maintainence is essential. During low humidity seasons, I keep my ouds in a case with humidity packs from Boveda.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kokomal  
I'm guessing this was from low humidity in my house, but this has not happened on any of my guitars in 10 years, same house. same conditions..

Turkish ouds have very thin soundboards, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 mm and are more susceptible to humidity cracks than guitars. I suggest you have your oud repaired eventually as the cracks will lessen the sound volume.

-- Amir

Go To Top