Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bashir recordings pre-floating bridge or high f
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-25-2024 at 10:14 AM
Bashir recordings pre-floating bridge or high f

Does anyone know of recordings on ouds in the lower tuning and/or before the floating bridge became a thing by these two musicians?

Not being specific as to which Bashir, because I’m not sure about timelines and Jamil tuned to G (I think).

I’m curious if their playing style followed the changes.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-25-2024 at 05:04 PM

Pre-floating bridge recordings of Munir Bashir's oud playing would be interesting to hear. Low tuned oud recordings of Jamil Bashir would be amazing to hear. I've never thought of this and I'm glad you did.

Jamil Bashir played a fixed bridge oud. He did tune to G. I have seen about 10 photos of him, always with a fixed bridge oud. And his sound does not resemble the sound of a floating bridge oud. I have never seen a photo of him playing a floating bridge oud.

The playing style of Jamil is a natural outcome of his study with Sherif Muhiddin Haydar Targan. One can hear the sound and style of Targan in the playing of Jamil Bashir. The teacher's influence is less obvious in the playing of Munir Bashir. Did his playing change because he began using a floating bridge oud? I think he had new ideas and the floating bridge oud facilitated his musical ideas.

Quote: Originally posted by kampanas  
Does anyone know of recordings on ouds in the lower tuning and/or before the floating bridge became a thing by these two musicians?

Not being specific as to which Bashir, because I’m not sure about timelines and Jamil tuned to G (I think).

I’m curious if their playing style followed the changes.

Go To Top