Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sadettin Sandi
Dr.Colossus
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 01:18 AM
Sadettin Sandi

Hi Guys,

Im looking to buy a Turkish oud, and am wondering if any of you can help me...

Im planning to spend about $1000 total (including hard-case and shipping etc), so Dincer Dalkilic, Dimitris Rapakousios, Viken Najarian etc are obviously ruled out. I thought perhaps Sadettin Sandi would be my best option within that pricerange. Do any of you have any experience with him, or his instuments? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks much:bowdown:
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 04:01 AM

Mr Sandi is recognised as one of the leading makers of Turkish ouds. I last contacted him a couple of years ago and, at that time, his prices ranged between US$500 and US$2,000. All instruments are handbuilt personally by Mr Sandi.

A friend of mine has one that he purchased from a store in Istanbul for US$1,000. It is a fine instrument.

Regards,

Greg
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 04:50 AM
Saadettin SANDI

Hello Dr.Colossus

I have an oud made by Saadettin Sandi. I like the sound of Sandi's oud.
The model number of my oud is K-500. My Sandi's oud is not recorded in the catalog.
Sandi's oud has the volume very much. And, the oud can express a delicate nuance.
You can see oud of Sandi by the Web site of Cankaya Music.
http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/

Do not you think about oud of Haluk Eraydin?

Regards,

tsugumi
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 01:33 AM

hello Dr. Colossus

I have one oud made by Haluk Eraydin and one made by Sandi
my advice is: you better buy a oud made by Sandi
I have the model MK250 and i'm so happy with it
my musical partner also has an Sandi oud the model GU 200
it was cheaper than mine but the sound is excelent

I met saadettin sandi in frankfurt...
http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1919#pid11977

for more idetails you can e-mail me
regards
mourad
Dr.Colossus
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 03:56 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, they are a help. :D

He sounds like a skilled and reliable maker.

To Tsugami: The reason I havnt considered Eraydin is because I have heard from some people (and it seems mourad agrees) that he is not a good as Sandi.

???this true???
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:31 AM

Dear friends.....
It's not right to make comments about who is better of who.....
please,let's not forget that each oudmaker does his best to built an instrument,let's respect that,and do not make any negative comments about anyone that gives a small part of his soul and time to build an instrument that will field up our life and days.......
Each oudbuilder owns our respect......
Regards to all:wavey:
Spyros

tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 07:16 AM

I also agree to the opinion of Spyros.

tsugumi
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 01:17 PM

I have a Sandi from 1981 which I truly enjoy. While I am in the beginning stages of my oud instruction I find that I enjoy my Sandi as my favorite acoustic oud. Here's a link to a pic of it. It is the oud in the middle of the three ouds.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1850
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 01:49 PM

I had a Sandi for 3 years and sold it when a Yucel became available. I like the Yucel much more for Turkish classical music playing. The Sandi was a decent instrument - it just wasn't quite in the same league as the Yucel, Mustafa, and Faruk ouds (which are all quite a bit over $1000, now). The person I sold it to loves it and has cared for it, however - for her it is an exemplary oud and is integrated into her playing style. It's a matter of personal taste, then...

With that said, I can't say that Sandi hasn't produced some ouds that are remarkable in sound and quality - perhaps he has and does currently. I evaluated his instruments in 1996 and not since then.

I was very impressed with Haluk's mid-price ($360+ shipping) ouds - for the price I have NEVER heard anything come close. I haven't played his high-end oud, but hope to visit him in Aydin this fall insh'allah and try out his high-end ouds.

BTW: Cankaya Muzik Evi (in Tunel) had some of the best tunable frame-drums I've ever seen, and they were very affordable (last summer, at least).
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 03:08 PM

Hi Mourad,

I think you are in mistake.I have not sold you one of my hand made acoustic ouds. As I remembered,I sent you an electric oud.
How can you talk about my acoustic ouds? Have you a second-handed one?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dr.Colossus
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 01:20 AM

Friends,

Thank you all for your replies.

To Mr. Eraydin, I apologise. No disrespect was intended. Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. I hope I have caused no offence, as I do not doubt your skill.

Spyros is right, and I realise that when it comes to instruments, opinions about quality are often simply personal preference, and what one person appreciates in tone and feel might be completely different to what someone else likes. The problem is, I live so far away, so I have to rely on other peoples opinions because I cant play the instruments myself and make up my own mind.

However, after hearing Eliots helpful comments, and looking at your website, it seems I have been mistaken in not considering your works, especially because they are so reasonably priced for good quality instruments.

All I am trying to do is be careful to find the best instrument I can afford, because I dont really have money to burn, so forgive me if I seemed rude.

L
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 06:24 AM

Dear friend
here we are all a big oud-family.We all have start on this way,:)at the beggining with a lower price oud that we could afort,and after that,we have change many instruments,and it never stops...:airguitar:.always will be a new oud maker,or an other maker that you will like his instruments.We can't say that the x maker is the best.Each ''flower has his own parfum....''
What I personally sugest to you is,to play an high sound quality instrument first,and if you will decide that this is what you want,save your money untill you will have the value for this instrument.I am sure that you ain't gonna regret it.
Best Regards to all:wavey:
Spyros Koliavasilis

Go To Top