Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shehata Oud
fyenix
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 06:57 PM
Shehata Oud

The Shehata Oud was purchase at Maurice's Oud shop June last year and I bring it back to him again 2 months ago (I used it for 10 months) I was using the Oud for teaching and also some performances (my students NEVER play with the Oud for this period of time)

When I decided to sell the Oud I asked Maurice to refurbish it to a brand new condition. We also found out that the joint between the Peg Head and Neck is not in a good condition so he advise me to remove it and place it back again for a better performance (The Peg Head was NEVER been broken)

A week later the Oud is ready and Maurice did an excellent job changing the look of the Oud plus fixing the joint (feel free to email him to confirm this) only theres a string buzz near the top nut which I think its an acceptable buzz and can be fix by lifting the nut a little by placing a thin strip of wood.

When Amos purchase this Oud he was not happy with the buzz and judging from his unpatient character he straight away bring it to Peter Kyvelos seeking for his opinion. According to Amos's post he said that Maurice hide the broken join and cover it with thick finish - it seems that he is questioning Maurice's work here. Knowing how Oud makers trying to impress peoples about their skills, Im not surprise if Peter Kyvelos dare to say such thing about Maurice's work.

I dont have to explain to Amos about the joint because it NEVER been broken in the first place - it was being remove and place it back again for a better result. The Oud was sold at $750 INCLUDING a Hard Case and Shipping. To be honest theres no Rosewood/Ebony Oud from Maurice are sold at this price (at least $1200) and no Hard Case too! So to those who think Im butchered Amos for this selling please think again. He got a Professional Oud at half the price normal people would get (with a Hard Case)

Selling Oud is not a business to me (like some others) so I dont really bother about this incident. I need to get rid some of my collection and I managed (that is the bottom line) My 2 day job is keeping me happy with or without his intention of spoiling my name in here ("and also I want to inform people not to buy ouds from you in the future if we cannot come to an agreement" - Amos)

To Amos I suggest to you to stop weeping about this for sympathy and start working on your Oud playing :)

To those who participate on this topic - thanks for sharing your thoughts (wish it will change something) :shrug:

Peace!
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 12:13 AM

Below complains were taken from Amos's post regarding Maurice's Oud

"The oud looks beautiful at first appearance, but it has severe structural problems which make it impossible to play and cost-prohibitive to repair."

"Peter Kyvelos, a renowned oud maker and honest person, examined the oud and informed me that the neck is attached at an angle which makes action far too low and buzzing so severe that it cannot be repaired without a complete rebuild, the staves were too short toward the neck and a band of wood was pasted over it to mask the mistake, and the oud is covered in so much lacquer that the sound is dulled irrevocably."

"Also, the peghead was broken and reattached sloppily.The bridge is raised extremely high in an apparent effort to raise the action, which was unsuccessful."

Clearly he was more complaining about the Oud rather than myself on this situation ;) I hope Maurice himself can answer all this negative view about his work!

Peace!
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 03:44 AM

To Walkad and Haluk

I never ask you 2 to order anything and repeatedly remind both of you not to order or make anything before I send the money for it. Blame you own stuborness for that! Business is about negotiating - buying or not buying is a common thing so live with it.

For all information, I found out that the Fuad Jihad's new Ouds and the Fawzy's oud prices. Clearly you over charge!

Haluk - you simply stuborn (cant help it - eagerly want to sell your Oud thats all you care)

Peace!
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 03:57 AM

To David

Regarding your statement about "threatening to damage the hard-earned reputations of some of the finest oud makers", whateva are the out come of the said Oud is not coming from my two hands (Im just selling it - so who damaging who?)

Your web site doesnt do much for me too so I dont give a monkey about it really and Im glad that I dont have to deal with you now or in the future.

Peace!
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 04:05 AM

To Al Dokhi

Try $750 for a Professional Oud made of Rosewood and Ebony - completely refurbish to a brand new condition with a Hard Case including shipping (if you know your Oud price that much than you can start sharing your thoughts about "dirty money")

Peace!
**Sorry Mike for this, but I had to say it and I hope you understand my frustration too.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 05:19 AM

Zul,

I'm going to keep this thread on the forum, because I guess there is always two sides to a story. I did edit some parts of some of your posts because they were inappropriate. This thread is now closed though.

Mike

Go To Top