Printable Version  
Author: Subject: May you tell us more about the celebration
san3any
Oud Maniac

Mood: Prove that 0=1

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:24 AM
May you tell us more about the celebration

Hi everyone,

I was shocked when the forum was down for the weekend. I know that we all should respect other relegious beliefs.
I am really interested to know more about this celebration, because I thought that easter was last month, even Good Friday, and I saw that the celebration was last week!!

I might be nosey, but I just wana know more about it.

I should've asked Mike only, BUT incase anyone knows, Plz explain, I WANA LEARN MORE

thank you

Ahmed Alshami (san3any)
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:50 AM
Orthodox Easter

The (Greek or Eastern) Orthodox Easter follows the Jewish Passover because historically that's when Jesus was crucified. The Jewish Passover was last week, therefore the Easter was also last week.

So the Orthodox Easter follows the lunar calendar like Ramadan Karim.

The Western Easter is calculated based on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox, that's why this year it happened in March (the Equinox is around March 20-21, the first full moon followed it immediately this year).

I hope I didn't confuse you worse.
Spyros C.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:52 AM
More

Incidentally to all of you who, like myself, are from Egypt:

Happy Sham el Nessim today

Spyros C.
san3any
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:55 AM

Thanx ALOT.......that was new for me........THANK YOU

:)
kasos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:09 PM

I'm not Greek or Russian Orthodox myself, but I understand the timing issue has do with those churches' traditional and continuing use of the Julian Calendar (which was ultimately replaced in Western Europe by the Gregorian one). The Julian calendar, which is the older of the two, does not use certain relatively minor adjustment features found in the Gregorian system. Though I haven't researched the issue in detail, what I recall is that these differences are of the type that result in procedures like leap year adjustments. I think the Julian calendar also uses the leap year concept to some extent, but the Gregorian one has a couple of extra ones that come into play at long intervals. These small differences, compounded over the centuries, have been enough to put the Gregorian and Julian calendars out of synch by a few weeks, and resulted in the Western and Eastern churches celebrating Christian holidays at different times.

Hope this answers your question, at least on a preliminary basis. All the best to Mike for the good work he does on this site, and all the best to all of those of all faiths, who may be celebrating their respective religious observances in the next little while.
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:15 PM

Ooops...

Seems like someone with a much better handle on the history of it came up with the more appropriate answer while I was writing. Glad to learn something new, on my side as well... - Kasos
san3any
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:28 PM

thanx alot KASOS......you gave me useful information too. that was really nice of you....thanx all once again,.,.,
:)
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:28 PM

Hey guys. Just a sidenote... Coptic Orthodoxy does not fall under Eastern Orthodoxy, but is known as a member of the Oriental Orthodox churches.

Also, though this year, Easter for Catholics came much earlier than the Orthodox's, they sometimes are only apart by one week, and sometimes fall on the same day. As far as I can tell, the Catholic Easter is usually on the same day or before the Orthodox one. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

TP21

P.S. The Oriental Orthodox church includes the following:
Coptic, Eritrean, Ethiopian, Indian, Syrian, and Armenian.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:33 PM

I think it's nice that so many here (of the ethnic Meditteraneans/Middle-easterners) are Eastern Orthodox or Coptic. I'll tie this topic in with the oud by saying how I feel it's such a positive observation that helps clear up a misconception that Arabic music is somehow "Islamic" only. It's the melding of various cultures that has made Arabic music enjoyable to so many. It also reminds me that in my family's village in Lebanon, the guardians of the Shrine to the Great Martyr George, in my grandfather's time, were Moslems.

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:01 PM

Good point Jameel,I hope this is not a political statement but it is my beleif that western bias and ignorance maybe PART of the cause of now acknowledging christianity in arab culture. I saw part because I know there are some different factors that differ from country to country but overal I think this bias is what keeps the west from understing complexities of arab culture.

I was once watching CNN and CNBCduring easter time and they were showing the church of the sepelchure on tv and the reports comemnted that they were "pilgrims" who worshipped there not native palestinians or other arab christians.

Arabic was a language developed before Islam and there are some churches in syria which predate Islam, that have been discovered with arabic rightings on their doors.

Ask any arab philosopher and they will credit Islam with helping to spread the arab culture and thus Islam holds a special stature even among the christianity community as a pillar fo the culture.

Please do not take this as political preaching but rather education about our great culture.

Rami
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:37 PM

Brother Kassos,

First of all, if you are from the island of Kassos we might even be related, so get in touch please.

Second, people tend to think that the difference between Easter celebrations is the Gregorian vs Julian Calendar but it is not. The two Calendars are off by about 13 days and are ALWAYS off. That's why some Christians celebrate Christmas in January. But it's always the same. It doesn't account for the fact that sometimes the Eastern Easter coincides with the Western as our friends above mentioned correctly.

Anyway, I agree with all the brothers that those of us who believe, believe in one God, and we are all connected by our love of music and this wonderful instrument, and hopefully we respect each other's beliefs or lack thereof.

Let's keep this forum peaceful and true. I read a lot of false statements, insults and speculation in the last few weeks. Please don't speculate if you don't have facts, because you are not helping anybody.

We are here to help and support each other and to spread this spirit to the rest of the world if we can. We can be an example of how diverse groups of people can get along as brothers and sisters.

Spyros C.
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
I think it's nice that so many here (of the ethnic Meditteraneans/Middle-easterners) are Eastern Orthodox or Coptic. I'll tie this topic in with the oud by saying how I feel it's such a positive observation that helps clear up a misconception that Arabic music is somehow "Islamic" only. It's the melding of various cultures that has made Arabic music enjoyable to so many. It also reminds me that in my family's village in Lebanon, the guardians of the Shrine to the Great Martyr George, in my grandfather's time, were Moslems.

Likewise with "Turkish" classical, or Ottoman classical music - it was the fruit of centuries of devoted and great musicians of Turkish, Arab, Armenian, Greek, Rom, and Jewish (I know, I'm being lazy and ignoring some Moldovans and others) origin. It's a mistake to collapse this down to a single "identity," and is an unfortunate outgrowth of single-ethnicity approaches to nationalism, as well as Western inability to observe the complexities of "other" cultures. That's why discussions on these boards is so vital...
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:51 AM

To Spyros C.

Thanks for the interest you displayed in my messages, and in my choice of an onscreen name. I've come to become well enough acquainted with Kassos to rather wish we were related. However, despite my onscreen name reference, my own family roots are a mixed bag (including Polish, Slovakian, Catalan, French and Scottish connections - other than English, French is the only other language I speak fluently - God bless bilingual Canada!). Though I've always appreciated oud music (my ethnomusicology teacher in university played both the oud and the renaissance lute) I've only recently started actually learning to play the oud, and other eastern mediterranean instruments, including lyra and laouta/lavta, for myself. The impetus for this has been a fortuitous meeting in New York City about three years ago with Mr. Elias Kulukundis, who is very proud of his family's Kasiot roots. Elias wrote a book back in the 1960's, called Feasts of Memory, which chronicled a number of visits he made to Kasos as a young man, and included a variety of tales from the island, some quite historical, others more in the nature of folk tales. Elias loves music, and, at the time I met him, had just written the script for a play based on one of the stories from Feasts of Memory, and was looking for someone to try to make an opera or musical theater piece based on it. Elias's play Three Brides for Kasos, based on a true story from the 1880's, deals with the tribulations of young Doctor Dimitri Nikolakis, who accidentally finds himself betrothed to two women on the same day (which would be a problem now, but was truly a catastrophe in the ritual laden environment of the time). My wife Crystal and I run a non-profit theatre group, and I was intrigued enough by Elias's story to try to make something out of it. Though we initially experimented with a number of stylistic approaches, we finally opted to go with a crossover piece which is more in the nature of musical theatre, and alternates between episodes using Greek folk tunes, and a pastiche of newly composed music in a variety of other styles which would probably be more familiar to our North American audience. Three years later, we are now preparing for the play's premiere, which will initially be in Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada, this June, and then a 10 day run in July in Winnipeg, Manitoba, a mid sized city (about 650,000 pop.) on the Canadian prairie. Winnipeg's 3000 strong Greek community includes the Vardalos family, of whom Nia is famous for her movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Her sister Nancy Genakis is generously helping out as a consultant for Greek dance, costumes and culture on the "Three Brides" project. Her help is vital because there aren't a lot of people of Greek ancestry in my home community of Flin Flon, a small, rather isolated mining town surrounded by hundreds of miles of uninhabited forest lands. (It's very hilly and rocky - I like to remind Elias it's like Kasos, surrounded by forest instead of the Mediterranean) When our group decided to take on the play as a project, we had to begin to research regionally appropriate music, and order in instruments to help give the music some of the flavor of the Greek Islands. In true small town spirit, someone in the cast volunteered to provide an oud that had been brought back from a trip to Tunisia some years back, only to languish in storage. I'm glad to report that the oud is now back in service, being used by our bass player, Paul Bergman, who uses the oud instead of the electric bass in sections where we try for a more traditional eastern Mediterranean sound. I'm glad to report that our band also includes a bouzouki, baglama, Cretan-style lyra, and two lavtas (these were obtained, initially somewhat by mistake, in the belief that they were Laoutas, the name under which they were advertised on E-bay - I've since been apprised of the confusion, and of the fact that the steel stringed Laouta, which we don't have yet, would have been the more regionally accurate choice - though, because of the fact we're theoretically trying to recreate the 1880's, I understand there's a strong historical argument that even the Cretan style Laouta would not have been common on Kasos at that time, and that the Lyra would have probably have been used alone, or perhaps with a second lyra or maybe a small hand held drum). Anyway, it's been quite an adventure, and we're having a wonderful time of it all. All the best, from Mark K. in Canada, hopefully soon to be an honorary Kasiot....
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:38 PM

Very interesting Mark. :)

Good luck with the production. :D

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 07:46 AM

God bless bilingual Canada hehe
:D happy easter from montreal to all my orthodoxe brothers.
Al Massi7 2ama

Go To Top