Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for an Oud in Bay Area
esteso
Oud Addict

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 10:42 PM
Looking for an Oud in Bay Area

Hi everyone, new poster here. I've been lurking for a few days and thought I'd jump in. I'm a Flamenco guitarist and have been playing a long time, lately my attention seems to be wandering more and more to the Oud.

I have a student model but I'm looking for an upgrade. I've contacted a couple of our esteemed members privately but thought I'd look around and see what my options were. I can buy an Oud long distance if necessary, but of course there's nothing like playing one and seeing it in person.

There's a lot of us that live in the Bay Area so I thought I'd ask if anyone has a nice oud for sale around here. I've been looking at Haluks and Shehatas so far but am totally open to suggestions.

There are a lot of questions that I can't answer due to lack of experience. Arabic or Turkish? Short or long scale? Don't know. But I do know that I want a well made, quality instrument, ebony pegs and fingerboard, spruce face, small guard, small bowl if possible, not too much ornamentation...... (at least in a perfect world)

Oh, I'm left handed and will be cutting a new nut and switching the strings around.

Maybe the best course of action is just to buy something good and not worry too much about the details. After a few years of playing the Oud some things will become clearer. (of course some things may become more obscure as well!)

Thanks and all the best

Michael Telle
esteso
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 12:32 PM

Hey Gabriel, maybe you needed to play the guitar a little longer than 3 weeks to get a feel for it. :)

I think you may be right about going for a Turkish Oud, especially in light of my conversation with Eliot earlier today. (Turkish style teacher) But there are a few nice Arabics on the market so I'm going to be a little patient and see what develops.

thanks

Michael Telle
Hank Levin
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 06:55 PM

Dear Michael,

I'm in San Rafael, and I have a few very nice Turkish ouds for sale at different prices. All are concert grade instruments, brought here by Üstad Necati Çelik, the wonderful Turkish oud maestro. He had been coming every summer, and would bring wonderful instruments that would be very hard for American musicians to acquire. Unfortunately, he is not coming this year, and I don't know when he will come again. He did come for just a couple of days in December, for a performance with the Mevlevi Sufi's at Marin Veteran's Auditorium in San Rafael, California, and brought a wonderful Mustafa that he left with me to sell.

I do some repairs, and can make the string conversion for you if you like. I also teach. Happy to give you some local references too!

You are welcome to give me a call and check out these ouds. I'm at 415 492-0728.

--Hank Levin
esteso
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 07:48 PM

Wow, that is unbelievable! I could almost walk to your place. I'm in Fairfax and I'll certainly come on over to check out the Mustafa. (the Internet rocks)

regards
Michael
Gabriel
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 11:51 PM

well i guess youre right aboat the guitar esteso;) my brother plays flemenco too and he is excelent!!!! but i think i will remain playing oud,by the way do you have a flemenco guitar?
esteso
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 12:18 AM

Why yes I do. I have an exquisite Flamenco guitar, a 1947 Hermanos Conde Esteso. It's interesting that you would ask, perhaps you recognized my user name "esteso" as the make of a guitar?

I love playing Flamenco but I'm feeling the need for a diversion and the Oud really speaks to me. Hopefully I'll find the time to do both, but as you probably know, either one could take a lifetime or two to master. (if you're lucky)

Cheers

Go To Top