Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Munir Bashir's Oud for new learner! please advice.
japan
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 07:06 PM
Munir Bashir's Oud for new learner! please advice.

Hi everyone.

I am new to ouds, and just purchased one through "lark in the morning".

The thing I found is that oud is one of the new oud designs developed by the Iraqi soloist Munir Bashir and master oudmaker Mohammed Fadel Awad according to their website.

http://larkinthemorning.com/product.asp?pn=OUD009

I know both master are famous, but does that make it good for me though?!

So, my question is: will that make it diffecult for me to learn how to play oud since it is a new style? or it's not really that different?

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 07:50 PM

Its really not that different from a standard oud. it just sounds different in some aspects.

But not to let you down, I think lark ouds are way overpriced for their quality. You can pay 100 bucks more and get a basic oud from shehata from egypt or samir from syria which are much much better qualities than the one you bought.

lark says they have a 15 day return policy an people on this board can help you contact these makers.

what lark says is the design is based on their design which true but not related to any of these artists.

as long as it plays well, any oud is good. this oud is more specific or arabic music if that is what you want to learn.

if you want to learn turkish or greek music, you might want a turkish oud.

good luck, I dont mean to offend your decision.
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 07:58 PM

Thank you very much palestine48.

That sure was very helpful.

Yes, I want to learn how to play arabic music. Hmmmm, what you said about lark doesn't sound quite good! especially after the email I got from them telling me that they are out of stock and that I will have to wait another week before they can get one and then the shipping time "my be 10 days or so". I'm starting to think that I should cancel this order and I don't even know if that is possible. :(

I live in Japan and didn't realize that there is a place here http://www.emmaz.net/ I just found here in the forum. So, that is making me feel a little bad about my decision! :(

Thank you very much again for all your help.

My next step is to look for an oud teacher here in Japan. Does anybody know one?!

Thank you.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 09:06 PM

I do not know any connections in Japan. Again I do not mean to discourouge you but I think you can find a better on for the price your paying. I have one similar to yours. I paid about 400 hundred with the shipping charges because it came from cairo but the actual price was only 250.

Since your in Japan you should be closer to the middle east than me and if you getting your oud shipped from america, I think the shipping charges from the middle east should be cheaper or at last the same as american shipping.

Lark did say they do you have a return policy so maybe you should look into cancelling. If you search this forum, you will here great things about maurice shehata ouds and like I said his basic prices are probably only a 100 or 200 more than what you are paying now so if you are going to spend 500 dollars, you might as well get the best quality for your money.

Samir from syria also makes a bashir style oud in the same price range. It is very simple looking but I think there are a couple posts of customers who like them very much. There is a lark in the morning store here in san francisco, Ca. Where I live and I can tell you they do not seem to be any more better than the one I have. I hope you find yourself a great oud and that my advice may help you.

If you want an oud like the one on larks website you can go to an ebay store called nileshop, just search ebay for nileshop in the ebay stores section. or search nileshop on your regular broswer. if you need teh adress I will get it. The guy who runs it is named yehia and he is great to deal with. he can sell you this type of oud for cheaper most likely. he also sels the mourice shehata ouds if you want to email him and ask him.

actually here are the links for shehata ouds and nile shop:

http://stores.ebay.com/Nile-Shop_Oriental-Musical-Instruments_W0QQc...

http://www.mauriceouds.com/english/index.asp

Rami
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 09:42 PM
oud teacher in Japan

Hello Japan
I agree to Rami.
I also bought Maurice's oud from Nile shop.

Where do you live in Japan?
I know Japanese oud player who name Yuuji Tsunemi.
His site is http://www.oud.jp/

I think that there is a music store that teaches oud also in Shinsaibashi in Osaka though I forgot the name.

Regards,

tsugumi
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 09:46 PM

Thank you so much palestine48.

I'll contact them and find out. Your help is greatly appreciated.
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 09:48 PM

tsugumi ,

I live in Kobe. So Osaka is just 20 min. from here :) Are you in Japan too? if so, where?

Do you know where does Yuuji Tsunemi live? what city? The whole site in Japanese, and I can't read kanji :(

Thank you in advance.
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:03 PM

I live in Hiroshima.
Yuuji tsunemi live's in Tokyo. He is my friend, but he is very busy.
Where do you come from?
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:12 PM

I came from Saudi. I've been in Japan for 8 years now. I got my PhD from Kobe Medical School 2 years ago and now ai. I know that if I was in Saudi it would've been a lot easier for me to get an Oud and find a teacher there too! But I am in Japan, and it will be a while before my next visit to Saudi. So, that's why I am looking for an oud and a teacher for now.

Tokyo is far for me. Don't you know any in Kobe or Osaka?

Thank you.
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:16 PM

try Yoshiko Matsuda - we both study the OUD in Bayt el Oud Cairo (i leave a msg on your U2U box)
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:26 PM

Hi Japan

I'm sorry I do not know so much.
I think that it answers that you ask http://www.emmaz.net/
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:34 PM

Thank you tsugumi. I appeciate your help.
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 06:51 AM

I live in San Francisco now, but spent most of the last twenty years in Seattle, where I became familiar with the Lark in the Morning shop in downtown Seattle. I purchased my first oud there - a Nahhat which had been so poorly repaired that my teacher, John Bilezikjian, recommended I sell the instrument and get a simple, well-made Turkish oud instead. I found that to be good advice, since the Nahhat was almost unplayable though it was sold to me at a high price. Since then, I have frequently heard Lark referred to as "Shark in the Morning" because of the low quality and high pricing of their instruments. I totally agree with other forum members who suggest cancelling your Lark order and getting a Shehata or other well-made, respectable oud.

Go To Top