Author: Subject: Yurdal Tokcan
davidg
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 03:05 PM
Yurdal Tokcan

Hello Everyone,

Now here is an oudist!!

I would just like to say thank you Eliot you have cleared a few things for me. And I hope that Yurdal does come. I hope that he comes to California. Man will that be great!!!

In the mean time I would like to post Yurdal 's site which has a video that I was just WOWed by.

http://www.yurdaltokcan.com/

This is the site but you have to click on the global sign and another page will open up and then you click on the Videolar and then you will see the video and you just click on it.

It is a very nice video that truly shows talent. I thank the person who put it up and hope that he puts up more.

I am sorry if the site has been posted up before.

Thanks Everyone
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:58 PM

Hi,

He is definitely an amazing player. I couldn't get the site to work for me, it might have to do with my browser settings, but I'll keep trying.

This July I'll be attending an oud seminar taught by him for a week in Crete. I'm very excited. Anyone who can make any of the great seminars this summer please give it a try. It's only 200 euros per seminar, which includes your room for the week.

I've listed the various seminars and their dates in another thread.

Crete Music Seminars - Labyrinth Music

:)

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
ztochaztik
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 09:29 PM
the seminars

hello mav,
any idea on what language will be used in those seminars
thanks
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 06:42 AM

My guess is mostly English. Many of the teachers are from Turkey, and most students are from Greece/Europe, so English will probably be the language of choice.

:)

You can contact Giota (sounds like Yiota) at Labyrinth to see for sure. info@labyrinthmusic.gr

Take care,

mavrothis

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:32 AM

Hi Mav/Ztochaztik

Probably best to check, as I remember that the Thessaloniki workshops I attended in 2002 were only translated into Greek and not English (from the original Arabic, Turkish etc.)

All the best

David
ztochaztik
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 10:17 PM

hello
i emailed Labyrinth and asked about the oud seminars. they said those will be given in English. great
thanks
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 06:57 PM

Hey,

I haven't been able to get the site to work for me either. At first I also thought it might just be my browser, but I don't know. I'd love to see what's inside...

Anyone offer any help/advice?

Thanks,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
davidg
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 08:02 PM

Hey everyone,

Wel Mav maybe you can try it this way. Go to this site and...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Yurdal+Tokcan&sm=Yahoo%21+Sear...

...Click on the first topic which is yurdaltokcan.com and then the page should open up and you should click on the videolar sign. And then you should click on the visual picture which is video.

And those oud seminars sound totally amazing.

Mav or whoever, goes to the seminars should certainly record it if they can because I would think it would be an amazing show and feeling. Yurdal and Necati (WOW). I had seen a video of when Necati came to Los Angeles last year and it was just unbelievable. My oud teacher let me borrow it and he was really amazed. You could imagine how i must have felt. I never heard anything like that. And he also has a very beautiful voice too.

He had played some really nice taksims and pesrevs and semais. He also had some modern turkish music which he also played. And the kanunist who was playing with Necati was kanuni Berj. Who is probably one of the best kanunist I have ever heard. He played with my oud teacher for a long time and man you should hear my oud teacher who is Hovsep Melkonyan. I love the way he plays and teaches. He is self-taught and trust he is very well learned. He doesn't know any nota and plays turkish pesrevs and semais and longas which I think is totally amazing.

We tune the oud to turkish oud which highest is D A E B F# C# . I think that this is a very comfortable tuning. Yurdal Tokcan tunes his ud this way and he really is at the tops of Turkey.

Sorry for making it long and Thanks for Everything

Thank You
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 11:03 PM

Hello all, These seminars sound great, hopefully the people lucky enough to be able to paticipate will share with us their expieriences there. How advanced on ones instrument should a player be to get the most from these classes, are they mainly for the more accomplished? I think I,d be left in the dust, judging by the caliber of people teaching, and attending,......maybe after some more years of practice..........Have a great time on Kriti !
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2005 at 02:18 PM

Hi guys,

I'll try to record if I can, we'll see what technology I'll have with me...

Brynley, I'm sure these seminars are open to all levels. It's very affordable (and the setting is beautiful of course), so you can't go wrong b/c even if someone is a complete beginner, they will learn a lot and be inspired to work harder, just as everyone else will be.

Come to Kriti! :)

Take care,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:24 AM

I,m definitely putting the Labyrinth seminars on my list of future 'to go to,s' I find Ross Daley,s playing very moving and inspiring,as is the philosophy behind these projects on Kriti,which I am sure tap into the ancient energies of that island. I am very much looking forward myself, to participating in the workshops with Wael Kashish at Larkcamp this summer. Attending any of the music camps and workshops out there, is a great way to learn and get inspired to greater efforts, have a great summer everyone.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 07:06 PM

Hey David,

I still can't access the actual Tokcan site man. I've tried both Firefox and Explorer, and everytime this is all I see on a black page: and it doesn't link to anywhere else... :(

--Edgard Varèse
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 10:34 PM

Mav, when I go to the link above, I get a notice about pop-up (I have Google's pop blocker) When I allow pop ups, and click on the blue coloered "shamsia" graphic, it pops up another, smaller window, of the main site.

I hope this helps. My next suggestions, if you are using IE, go into Tools | Internet Options . . . | Delete Files. This will clear your cache. You may have something crazy script in your cache.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 11:33 PM

Hey Sam,

Thanks for trying. I did what you said, but I'm still having problems. With IE nothing happens, but with Firefox I get a Java Script message that says "aloo". When I open up the Java Script Console, it doesn't register a problem...

Very weird. Sorry to be a bother, I'd just really like to see the site. Anyway, maybe if I keep playing around w/ my settings I'll pull it off. :)

Thanks again,

mavro

--Edgard Varèse
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 11:41 PM

Hi Mav

You can skip the intro page by going straight to http://www.9sekiz.com/yurdaltokcan/content/index/index.asp

All the best

David
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 10:07 AM

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

THANK YOU DAVID!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top