Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for purchasing advice. please help!
ktb711
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-22-2005 at 02:13 AM
looking for purchasing advice. please help!

Dear oud players and aficionados,

I am currently in the process of trying to decide on buying my first oud, and would appreciate your knowledge and experience in this matter. I live in Istanbul, Turkey, and am planning to visit some of the well-known luthiers here.

Though I have only played around with a cheap Turkish oud, which I borrowed from a friend to test, I am aware of what a good instrument sounds ands feels like--I play and own several guitars and baglamas made of brazilian "jacaranda" (rosewood) with ebony fretboards and so forth. In general, I prefer the moderately loud, deeper and sweeter tones rather than a bright or cutting sound.

Now, I suppose my questions would be the following:

1. which of the styles would produce this? Syrian-Lebanese, Turkish or Iraqi?

2. Is it the case that most Turkish ouds have a brighter tone? Does anyone play a Dincer, a Faruk Turnuz or an oud from any other Turkish Luthier?

3. Can a beginner go wrong with Nazih Ghadban? (I briefly spoke to him on the phone and found him to be very friendly.)

4. Which woods are best for producing darker, more mellow tones?

Thank you so much for your patience and hope that someone with give me a little assistance.

Good day to all,

KTB
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 6-22-2005 at 05:37 AM

Hi,

Good luck with your search first of all. Turkish style ouds are generally considered brighter, and my particular Dincer oud has a sharp sound which I really love (it's also very new, so this will mellow over time).

You should check out the makers in Istanbul (Dincer is there at the moment as well) first, there are so many good makers, and see if you like what you hear from one of them. Each oud has it's own voice, and each maker has his own style.

The biggest difference between Turkish style ouds and typical Egyptian, Syrian, and Lebanese ouds is the idea of how the instrument sustains the sound. Usually, Turkish, Armenian, and Greek makers try to give the instrument's sound more of an echo quality, regardless if it comes out very sharp or bassy. Traditional Arab luthiers, from what I've come across, like the notes to "die" without carrying or echoing as much. But again, individual makers will differ, as will each oud.

I think trying out many ouds where you are, which for many of us is the center of the oud world, is a very good idea. If you really find that you prefer the Arabic sound, you have several very good makers to choose from.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
ktb711
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-22-2005 at 04:55 PM

thanks for the advice.
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-22-2005 at 10:24 PM

Hi,
I would like to add to mavrotis, that iraqi ouds in general are closer in sound to the turkish, they tend to be more soft/mellow and less "metallic" than the syrian and egyptian ones.

Regards
/Walid
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 08:22 AM

The other thing to consider would be what type of music you are listening to, and want to play. If you want to emulate the Turkish players, buy a Turkish oud. If you love the Arabic style, buy an Arabic oud. It's not just the sound itself, but the different tuning between Turkish and Arabic ouds. I am pretty new at this, too, but one of the key ways I learn is by listening to the oud players that I really love, and trying to capture that sound the best I can. A fancy way of saying I try to copy it, I guess. It would be tough to do this if you were using a Turkish oud and trying to sound like an Arabic player, or vice versa. Not impossible, just tougher, and things are tough enough when you start a new instrument.

Go To Top