Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ouds in Istanbul
ktb711
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 12:55 PM
Ouds in Istanbul

Friends,

Today I went oud hunting in Istanbul, and tried (but mostly listened to) one of Cengiz Sarikus' ouds. Has anyone ever played or have an opinion of his instruments and reputation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KTB
bouna
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 07:31 AM

I am also looking to buy an oud from Istanbul. I would love to hear about your hunt. Where are you looking? is it in Taksim or somewhere else?

I moved to Istanbul nearly a year ago.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 10:10 AM

I have never heard Cengiz Sarikus' own ouds, but if anybody is considering buying anything from him via mail, I can tell you that I have had a great experience buying a couple of used ouds from him. The ouds arrive extremely well packaged, and the guy is a pleasure to deal with.

Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 07:16 PM
music shops in istanbul

Hi,
Who can give advice and or directions as to where the best musical instrument shops in istanbul are? I'm going to crete to do some seminars at Ross Daly's workshop, and on the way back am having 2 days in Istanbul.

I would like to visit the cumbus shop to buy a yayli tanbur, but anyother music shops would be nice to hear about.

Cheers
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 09:56 AM

If your time is limited, you might want to visit the group of musical instrument shops located on Galip Dede near the Tunel (the subway tunnel at the end of the major pedestrian street Istiklal Caddesi in the Beyoglu area). One of the stores there (Cankaya Muzik) carries a good selection of ouds and other instruments made by Sadettin Sandi, which are of decent quality. Another store nearby (Muzik Merkezi) carries instruments from various parts of the Middle East and Central Asia. Another area with a concentration of music shops is Ataturk Bulvari in the Unkapani district. That's where the Cumbus store is. You will see other shops near it (including another Cankaya branch) and also across the street.

If you are open to ordering a top-quality oud, Faruk Turunz and Mustafa Copcuoglu are two highly recommended luthiers in Istanbul.

Enjoy your trip.

Go To Top