Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New oud on eBay
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 12:36 PM
New oud on eBay

Does anyone know anything about this oud that has recently appeared on eBay?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 01:23 PM

Judging by the label, it's an oud that's been reworked by Najib Shaheen. That's a picture of the Near East Ensemble if I'm not mistaken. Brian can confirm this.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 08:56 PM

Yes, that's one of Najib's ouds. From what I can tell, it's a definitely a new face and bridge. Almost certainly new pegs. Seems like a nice oud. I live near the store, so I'm going to go check it out. I'll also ask Najib about it. I think i might have played it before.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 08:57 PM

Incidentally, that's Najib in the picture, with Bassam Saba and Simon Shaheen, among others.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:54 PM

Hi Brian, can you tell me where Nageeb's store is? I am going to be in NY next week for a few days. Does he have a lot of ouds in the shop?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 05:03 PM

Sam, Najib doesn't have a store for his ouds; he has a workshop and usually just meets with people in his apartment if they're interested in an oud. If you call him, I'm sure he'd be happy to meet with you. his phone number is on his website at oudman.com. an alternate number during the day is 718-387-8333.

I went and looked at this oud and played it. In my opinion, it's not one of Najib's best ouds, but it's a good instrument. It's a little bright-sounding for an arabic oud, but overall the sound is even. better strings would probably help.
it has a spruce top by najib (fairly wide grain)
bridge & pegs by najib. (pegs are excellent, easy to tune and hold well)
neck reinforced by najib

fingerboard is rosewood, not ebony, and not as thick as i would like.
nut is ebony, not bone

action is good, easy to play, and the whole instrument is very solid.
Eric
Oud Lover

Mood: Eager to learn!

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 12:50 PM

Hello, everyone :wavey:

I'm new here--or, at least, I'm a new member. I've been reading the forum and listening to clips here for months and months, it seems.

I'm saving up to buy my first oud, and this looks like a good one to start with. But there's also a Shehata oud on ebay, and the owner says it was one that Mike picked out himself! (Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7333848254&a... )

The Shehata oud is more expensive, but I've read such wonderful things about him and his ouds, that it's tempting. On the other hand, I like the idea of buying one that one of you has actually played. Help!

Any advice between these two? Or whether I should just wait a while, keep saving, and buy a new one directly from the maker?

Eric
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 07:59 AM

Hey Eric,

Not having ever played I Shehata, I can't really compare the two, but I think Najib's oud will go up significantly in price by the end of the auction, so it won't actually end up cheaper than the Shehata.
From what I know of the Shehata ouds, it seems like a really good price and of course they get such rave reviews (especially if mike picked it out himself). I've played a lot of Najib's ouds and this one is not one of his best (as i said earlier). Still, it's a good, well-built oud. It kind of depends on how high the price goes.

Ouds are so individual that it really is best to hear it first if at all possible

Brian
Eric
Oud Lover

Mood: Eager to learn!

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 04:05 PM

Thanks, Brian! I'll keep an eye on the price of the Najib oud, but I really take your last point to heart. (About hearing it first, I mean.) Maybe I'll just keep saving up a while--and looking for a teacher, too!

Eric

Go To Top