Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: electric ouds
elrabee3
Oud Junkie

Mood: in LOVE

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 02:17 PM
electric ouds

anyone here played on one of these ouds, i realy dont like them, i m an old-fashined guy. :cool:

first of all, it doesnt sound like an oud (specialy the low notes "top strings" ) it sounds more like a guitar than an oud. :shrug:

what about u guys ??

Jaber
elrabee3@gmail.com
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 04:40 PM

i have one by najarian. the sound is definitely not like the real thing, but it's for playing live.

when you're playing in a band, and you can't use mics b/c of feedback (or you can't afford the awesome mics that are $1000s), you'll use a contact pickup on an acoustic, and you'll still get feedback, and the sound will be 'fake' too.

at least with the electric you have no feedback, and you can have more power and control of your volume/bass/treble.

i know what you mean though. once, i saw this guy was selling his acoustic cause he liked the electric sound better. i really didn't know what to say. lol:shrug:
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 07:06 PM

Hey guys,

Yeah, I am more into the real deal myself. Although I think through the years he has gotten it to sound closer and closer to the real deal. Now he even makes a model that looks like a full oud. He also uses these pegs that supposedly don't slip because once you've tuned it, you tighten this little screw at the end of the peg so it won't slip. Kinda cool.

Take care,
Mike

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

info.gif posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:15 AM
I like it......

Well,I like it,for live performance I like it very well,especialy when I want to play at 2 a clock in the morning,and not to bother my neighbours,......
I belive that and a good electrical oud is good to be in my collection.........
Regards
Spyros:wavey:
udi_amos
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 05:31 AM
electric oud

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd wiegh in on the topic...I really dont like the sound of the Najarian electiric ouds, although they certainly are handy for performances or late-night practice. Dicky Barsamian uses on the Ara Toupouzian Kef album and the high notes just sort of fall apart...There are some pretty amazing soundboard pickups these days that really eliminate the need for an electric oud, in my opinion. Take care everyone!
Amos

There is a stone on my heart...let is rest there.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-27-2003 at 05:12 AM
Electric OUD

Hello fine people,

In regards to the electric oud I was over taken by the idea until I have heard a singer using it. It did not sound as real as it should. We might as well take off the frits of an electric Guitar and we can call it electric oud. I would love to check one in real though but yeah Nothing like the real old oud.

Best regards

Emad from Sydney
norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-27-2003 at 06:37 PM

i noticed Sadettin Sandi is building one similar to the Najarian - anyone try this one?

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2003 at 06:05 AM
Dimitris electrical oud

Dimitris Rapakousios makes some wonderful electrickals too.....I will purchase one....they have pure oud sound.......the secret is on the amplification and the crystalls.....;)
regards and respect

Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-28-2003 at 03:02 PM
electric oud

Sorry, do you realy need an electric oud to be able to play loud music?
I have performed for many years with big Jazz groups, Flamenco ... anything you name it, Peter Gabriel,I never used an electric oud.
What does Simon Shaheen do, Anouar Brahem Rabih Abu Khalil, Yair Dalal....... ?
What you need is a geood Mic with a very good sound engineer
An oud is an oud, if you change it, it does loose it beauty.
Adel
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 03:20 PM

do you think that the acoustic guitars have also lost some beauty to the electrical guitars??

personally, i think so... you get these teenagers that would mutilate acoustic guitars so they get electric ones, haha!

i think that electrical ouds are interesting to have as a collector's piece though, is it true that you are able to hook up headphones to the electrical oud? because i know that you can do that with electrical violins... it's pretty cool that you are the only person that can hear the sounds and no one else can...
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 04:18 PM
electric ouds

Adel, Yair Dalal was here in Austin a few months ago. He used a combination of the soundboard pickup and a condensor mic taped (yuk!) to the bowl and bent over the sound hole. He sounded fabulous. He had a couple of very loud drummers and the gear gave him a bit of a boost. But I agree that the oud, like all acoustic instruments sounds best through a great mic. We also had Simon Shaheen recently, and he sounded great playing that way. The biggest problem with using a good mic is that in smaller performance situations there is often no qualified sound engineer, or the gear is inadequate and then it's awful.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 04:29 PM

You make a great point Al. Nothing can beat a great sound engineer. Wael was playing at this local club one night a few months ago with Paul Livingstone (sitar player). It was an Indian music meets Arabic kinda thing, and the dude that was doing the sound didn't know jack. Unfortunately Wael's oud sounded horrible. :(

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 05:02 PM

Ofcourse nothing compares with the original acoustic oud,but......I believe that the same feeling was when the electric quitar appear.....I mean,it is too dificult to all of us to accept this '''instrument''',but my friends is an other instrument....I personally like it alot,but I repeat,is an other instrument......
I really believe that in a few years as the quitars,the violins ,now the oud it will be a revolution ....but still,the acoustic instruments will be always on the first position ..... they are more than just an instrument,they have personality and soul.....
Regards to all

Adel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 02:32 PM

Al billings,
Few months ago, I have performed with Yair Dalal in Barcelona, my group and his group joined forces to push for peace,
we had 7 thousands people in Barcelona Square to listen to 2 ouds, 2 percussion players and 2 singers.
Most professional oud players will go and do their concerts with their own sound engineer.
It can be done, I love accoustic oud.
Some other times, in small concert halls, I prefare to play with no amplification.
May be I am an old fashion.
Best of luck,
Adel
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 01:07 PM
oud with pickups

You can put pickups under the soundboard,1 pickup for every two strings of the oud.The sound will be same as oud but loud. An electonic master should make this operation after removed the big rossette.You can learn performance of oud with pickups under the soundboard,from Mr. Ed Clayton in USA.He is an oudi,e-mail address is ''eclayton@visi.com''.I can give more addresses about this subject,after I asked them.

Regards.

Haluk Eraydin

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 02:05 PM
electric ouds

Adel, I've been a professional musician for decades, and I understand the need for a good engineer at performances. Unfortunately, on the oud, we aren't all at your level of professional skill and experience where qualified engineers control your sound. There are many players who wind up having compromised sound due to inadequate sound reinforcement that they cannot control because the whole performance is at a lower level of control. Also, keep in mind that in America, even some very good engineers have no experience with ouds or Middle Eastern music. Latif Bolat plays here in Austin frequently. I've heard him when the sound crew knew what they were doing, and I've heard him suffer at the hands of an inept fool. Musicians who have, by necessity to endure bad sound should do whatever they need to do to sound good, even if it means a pickup on the oud, or take a baseball bat to the engineer! It's good to have a discussion about this becasue through dialogue players may offer good solutions. I too prefer the oud fully acoustic. I downloaded your Maqam Rast last night. Utterly brilliant!
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 02:15 PM
electric oud

Nadir, actually there are thousands of American kids dutifully scraping away on acoustic guitars and mandolins these days--ther's a whole revival of traditional music going on., and this seems to be true in much of the world today. I don't think the electric guitar can diminish the acoustic. Does a colorized movie diminish the black and white version? No: it just gives us another choice, or one can simply ignore the version he dislikes. I learned both acoustic and electric guitars together when I was a kid. I think of them as different colors in my palette. And there are so many examples today of the electric guitar weaving itself into acoustic music that it's hard to think of it not being there. What moves people is what moves them--the instruments, despite our romantic attachment to them are all just machines that help us communicate.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 04:04 PM

Hey Al I just realized I don't need to post because you said exactly what I was thinking . . .
but I'd like to ask where I can hear Adel . . .
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 05:43 PM
electirc oud

http://www.adelsalameh.com/
Brian, the piece I liked is actually in Nahawand. The memory is going.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:11 AM

do american kids really get the MANDOLIN???!
Al Billings
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:31 AM
electric ouds

What's to get, Nadir? Do westerners "get" the oud? Do Arabs "get" the banjo? How can you saywho does and who does not? There's no central authority that issues authenticity documents. There are just human beings excited about the voyage of self-discovery and creative expression they seek to release through their passion for the instrument that calls to them. If I let a culture's artistic exression overpower me I'd be reduced to playing surf music and old Perry Como songs, the music of my youth. Have faith in the tansporting power of music. To me, that's all that really counts.
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:43 AM

The problem with sound engineering is unfortunately true...i had the same and it is not the best experience.

Im glad to say that i found a solution.It is easy but it costs a little bit.First of all the pickups like Shadow,K&K (twin spot etc) or Barcus Berry kill the acoustic of the sound.They have an advantage.They can be very loud.

So my installation is an AKG C 411 or C 416 ( i use both some times ) through a preamp Fishman Pro-Eq Platinum..you have fully control of your sound.

AKG C411 you can find it for 100 euros and Fishman ~200-250 euros...

But there is ebay too :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703111645&a...

Nikos
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 01:18 PM

Thanks for the tips on the AKG and Fishman stuff Multi Kulti.

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 04:11 PM

This is wonderfull multi kulti.....
Thanks my friend....
Hey guys,let's just play my friends....every flower has his own parfume....I just love all the ouds....and the electric too,I love them aaaalllllllll
:wavey:

Myrtone
Oud Admirer

light.gif posted on 9-11-2007 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mavrothis
i have one by najarian. the sound is definitely not like the real thing, but it's for playing live.

I think I have figured out why, acoutisc ouds, like acoustic guitars have a hole next to the fingerboard, under where the strings are plucked, which is where the sound comes. Anyone who has played an electric guitar with neck pickups would know that by using the pickups closest to the neck (where the strings are typically plucked), playing thorugh a clean amp, will sound much more like "the real thing" than any other combination. This is possible on and electric guitar because the pickups are non contact and reply on electromagnetic inductance. Metal stings make this possible. But ouds (usualy) have nylon strings, which would make this unworkable, so piezoelectric pickups are used, which can only serve as bridge pickups because they require mechanlical contact with the strings. But there are two ways we could make neck pickups workable, one was orginally delevoped for the (electric) ukulelee, mixing powedered iron into nylon strings, the other would be to go for optical pickups.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top