Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Serif Muhiddin Targan's Abdo Nahat
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-29-2005 at 05:40 AM
Serif Muhiddin Targan's Abdo Nahat

I was at a friend's recently and was leafing through a travel book on Turkey. This oud was pictured in a section on Turkish Music. (with no info about this specific oud) I found this same oud on the web, but the pic is terrible. The pic in the book was clear enough that I could identify this oud as an Abdo Nahat from the main rose calligraphy. It has many of the same design elements as Hamza El Din's Abdo Nahat, but also some elements that are unique from most Nahats. Namely the end of the fingerboard. It has a unique shape. Question is, does anyone have better photos of this oud? It also looks like it is in a museum or display case of some sort. Does anyone have more info about it?

al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-29-2005 at 07:36 AM

According to a Turkish biography of Targan (by M. Hakan Cevher), he left four ouds, including a Manol and the Nahat in the picture you posted. He donated the Nahat to the museum of Rumi, where it is on display. (The other three are exhibited in the Suleymaniye Library in Istanbul.) The book has a black and white photo (on page 13) of Targan holding the Nahat in Rumi's mausoleum in Konya. The picture is rather grainy and less useful for picking out details of the instrument than the picture you posted.

I have not seen other photos of this Nahat, except for the one on http://www.turkmusikisi.com, which is identical to the one you posted.
OudMaster
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 03:42 AM

Durring my visit last year to Istanbul, i went the museum to see the oud and try to take some close pictures, but unfortunatly the museum were closed for restoration.:(

but i called my friend recently and told me that the museum is opened again so i might go a gain this year :rolleyes:
Ümit
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-13-2006 at 08:31 PM

This abdo Nahat oud,I belive Targan Used Turkish tuning a lot of the time,would this oud be made for turkish tuning.
i belive some say the arabic oud cannot take the high tension and tone for the bracing system
DJdog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-13-2006 at 09:14 PM

For a couple of years I owned an Abdo Nahat. I initially tuned it to Turkish tuning, and it sounded too tight and non-resonant. Then I switched down a whole step to Arab tuning and the whole instrument warmed up and came to life.

Go To Top